Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another newbie with pictures :)

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to commend you all for such an informative site and have spent the past 2 hours quite engrossed reading up and familiarising myself with the basics of propellers.

To give you a bit of background regarding this prop i found it yesterday stuck up behind a steel beam in an old garage im soon to be converting so i presume its been there since i bought the place and heavens how long before that.Due to my fascination in anything old i would lovve to know the history behind it and whats best to do with it in regards to restoring it although i did read "bob" suggests not to do this.....so, here we go.

questions..

Is Siddeley the engine the prop fits??

What plane would this of been used on?

How old is the prop?

What do the A.I.D. markings mean?? (i know they refer to the aeronatical inspection dept)?

Any ideas regarding restoration?

And last but not least value??

I have uploaded 5 pics and will add a few more on the next page

Many thanks in advance and keep up the great work

Regards

Mark.
    Attached Files

Contd pics and markings on prop

the markings i can clearly read are as follows

200 HP B(Mor H)P SIDDELEY

AB7031RH

D-2750 P-2550

A.I.D. Both say 38R

Also stamped just under the metalplate was N54 if this helps

the prop is 9ft long and what baffles me is i took out 9 bolts, all the pics i have seen have been of 8 boltprops!!!!

any question please dont hesitate to ask

Update....

After a bit more reading i see a 9bolt prop is common for siddeley and i presume this prop was intended for a Puma?? Year of manufacture around the 1916-18 area?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by countrydiyer; 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Finish

Please explain the finish that is on the prop.

There appears to be gold paint. What is under the paint? Material? Clear finish?

Please give me as much info as possible and I may be able to advise you on how to conserve it.

Raaaar,

Adrian.

Comment

Finish

Hi and thanks for the reply,

The finish on the timber prop is a material which i presumed was then doped to tighten around the prop which i presumed was the slightly gold tint you see.I doubt it has been sprayed though......hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by countrydiyer View Post
          Hi and thanks for the reply,

The finish on the timber prop is a material which i presumed was then doped to tighten around the prop which i presumed was the slightly gold tint you see.I doubt it has been sprayed though......hope this helps
          Hi,

the first thing you need to do is find[work out if the gold paint/tint is original. I would think thats highly unlikely however you never know - until you are SURE you should do nothing. If you do find out the gold finish is not original you will need to find a solvent that will remove it without damaging the finish underneath - likely to be time consuming and very difficult if not impossible. Choose a place not noticable - probably the back, try mineral turps on a small area. If that doesnt work try other solvents in small test areas.

Comment

Your data describes the drg no AB7031 which was primarily used on the DH4 and DH9 aircraft with the 200hp BHP Siddeley engine, where BHP indicates Beardmore, Halford and Pullinger who designed it. It was used to a lesser extent on the Bristol F2B.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X