Info request for german prop ANKER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info request for german prop ANKER

Hello, this is a prop with the "ANKER" decal, it comes from a pair, and has these markings on it:
    • HIERO 230PS
    • DM3050
    • STG 175 (unclear, actually 'STG ??5') (Steigung=pitch)
    • NO 6783 (6283 maybe) (possibly the serial number?)
    • EDULDRUCK

Decal:
    Anker-propeller ARTHUR GARDTNER-ADLERSHOF

What I get is:
    • maker: ANKER PROPELLER
    • Engine: Hiero 230HP
    • Diameter: 3050 mm
    • EDUL: Counterclockwise rotation as seen from the front (Entgegen Dem Uhrzeiger Lauf)
    • DRUCK: pusher configuration

Any info such as airplane type, rarity etc is welcome.

I figured out the faded maker name thanks to this mug on internet:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pdb; 10-07-2016, 10:16 AM.

Greetings pdb,

Your interpretation of the data stamped on the hub is correct, except that the name of the owner of the Anker Propeller company is mis-spelt. He was Arthur Gärtner.

Whilst this company was German, your propeller was made for an Austrian aero-engine designed by Otto Hieronimus using the technology of the racing cars of the time; viz; a straight six engine with overhead camshafts and cross-flow heads. Most were built by Essler, Warschalowski & Company of Wien.

This propeller was made for a pusher-configuration in a large and heavy aircraft, typically a bomber such as the German G and R types, which used the Mercedes 260ps engine and the Maybach 245ps engine.

Anker made propellers for the AEG G IV, with D 3155m and St 1610mm, but this aircraft was built in a tractor configuration, so we can discount it.

Typical German bombers had propellers with the following D and St;
    Friedrichshafen G III; D3170 and St1750
    Gotha G Va D3100 St1750
    Gotha G 9 D3100 St2050

I have recorded one other German propeller made for the Austrian Army by the Wolff company for a Phönix D III with a Hiero 230ps engine but I don't know what its dimensions were.

So my conclusion is simply that there was some slight interchange between German and Austrian engine and propeller makers, and that your propeller was made for a large bomber aircraft with pusher engines.

If your researches discover more, please let me know so that I can add the details to my database.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Bob, that's a lot of info.

I add this:

German Bombers of World War I in action by Peter Cooksley:
      Forty Gotha G.IVs, subcontracted to Luft VerkehrsG.m.b.H (LVG), were equipped with 230 HP Hiero engines and supplied to the Austro-Hungarian Luftfahrtruppe (LFT - Aviation Troops). All variants employed cooling radiators mounted in the front of the engine nacelles. Additionally, all three variants employed sheetmetal cowl panels, although the G.V used fewer panels to expose more engine area to the airstream.

I found a mention of this in wikipedia as well:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_G.IV
      Around 30 LVG-built G.IVs were fitted with Hiero engines and 8 mm (.315 in) Schwarzlose machine guns for Austro-Hungarian service.

The standard Gotha G.IV engine was a 260HP Mercedes.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the prop value (min/max)?
      Last edited by pdb; 10-07-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Well done pdb on your research and finding this information. I have added the details of your prop to my database and now I can add these details as well.

There is no clear simple value for your propeller. It is worth what you are willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to play. For this reason the best place to sell it is at auction.

My guess is that it is worth about €2500 EUR.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Hello Bob,

I have no clues about the history of my prop, but just hearing of Austro-Hungarian makes sense as I live in the battlefield area, near Trieste, and it might come from a crashed or captured airplane.

kind regards

Comment

pdb,

So, am I correct in thinking that Trieste was in the KüK empire during WW1?

An afterthought; if you decide to put it into auction, I would recommend Hermann Historica in München, which is comparatively near!

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Yes Bob, the annexation to Italy was in November 1918.

Comment

Ta Marrah!

(A dialect expression current in Yorkshire circa 2016, meaning Thanks Chum)

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                X