Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller identification - some issues

Hi all,

I've read a few topics here and there and have been reading for quite a while now. I came across a WW1 era prop, but I can't seem to put a solid ID on where it came from. Would someone be able to help me out?

It has the inscription of a Nieuport propeller for a Gnome engine. Would this make sense? I assumed it would fit a Nieuport 28 aircraft, but I'd appreciate if someone could confirm this or have any other thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Attached Files

Hi,

It is a French made Levasseur propeller.
    It was made after the war, probably 1921 or beginning of 1922 from its prop number ( 24638 ).
    The markings read :
    Nie Mono : Nieuport monoplane.
    Gn 150 : 150 HP Gnome engine
    N° 24638 : prop number
    Pi 1 (greek letter and digit 1) : made by a subcontractor for Levasseur
    He : made of beech (Hêtre in French).

The blades have been cut and reshaped. The prop has been sanded.

To (perhaps) know the plane it was made for, I need the serial number which have to be above the prop number.

PM

Comment

Your assumption about Nieuport and a Gnome engine is correct, but usually these are stamped with a "Serie" number. The "No" of "24638" would be typical of a Chauviere series, but I can't find it specifically listed in a list of Chaviere props or on a list of Nieuport aircraft.

Perhaps pmdec will drop in here at some point and may have some more educated thoughts on its application.

Comment

Thank you both!

When you say the blades are cut and reshaped, do you mean that this is No longer the original design? I’ll have to check later if there is another serial number on this to indicate its use.

I’m looking into obtaining this prop, but since it does seem remodeled (recut and sanded) I am having my doubts.

Comment

Hi,

It is absolutly certain the prop was sanded (at this time most Levasseur props were black lacquered and some remains are in the markings) and the blades reshaped, perhaps to look like a Chauvière... Chauvière and Levasseur props have one edge of their blades straight, but it is the trailing edge for Chauvière and the leading edge for Levasseur. And there is also the hub which had been modified, probably to insert a clock or a barometer... All in all, no value remains!

On the pic below, you can see how it was...

Regards,
          PM
          Attached Files

Comment

I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice! Such a shame it was remodelled.

Comment

Working...
            X