Question about hub dimersions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hub dimersions.

Hello, Under Wooden Propellers, your listing of "Hub Dimensions Of Various Engines", my question is about the "HUB (METAL) DIAMETER". Does this mean that all of the wooden props under this heading had a metal sleeve in the wooden hub? Also, if my above thinking is right about you meaning that there is a metal sleve in the wooden hub, are you supposed to measure the inside or outside dimension of the metal sleeve to get the "HUB (METAL) DIAMETER"? Thanks

HUB (METAL) DIAMETER

Hello again, after researching your website a little more, I found the drawing you have posted under WWI propellers, so I now know what is ment by "hub (metal) diameter". Could you tell me though, is the metal hub something that collectors have on their WWI era propellers ? I didn't notice one on the pictures of WWI era propellers that I looked at on your website.

Comment

The metal hubs were specific to the engine, and propellers were then designed to fit the specific hub, but there was some variability in the size of the wooden hub itself, as long as it was slightly larger than the metal hub. You'll often see imprints of the metal hub face on the wood on used propellers.

The metal "sleeve" isn't part of the propeller. It's part of the hub. Most of the metal hubs have ended up in the hands of restoration type people, although some are still attached to various propellers, like this one.
      Dave

Comment

Propeller with Hub

That example you used of a prop with its hub still attached is a beautiful thing with that mixed hardwood.

Comment

Working...
        X