Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help to identify an old wood propeller

Hello,
    After the death of my grandfather I found an old Sensenich Wood Propeller. The determination of the model and serial numbers are difficult because some numbers are erased. I spent a lot of time on internet to search the identity of this propeller and I have to say that this forum is probably my last chance. I would like to sale the propeller and without this information, I think it will be difficult to estimate any value. A clock was placed in the middle of the propeller and I am think some wax was applied on this (what a pity!)

I placed some pictures. I am not sure but I think the Model number is x3K10107. Probably other numbers are in front. x=I don't know (a 4?) and I am not sure that the K is really a K...
    About the serial number, we can see that it ends with D-7871. In front there is an other number which finish with 3.

Nevertheless I hope you can help me to identify this propeller so that I can estimate a value.
    Forward I thank you for your help and the spending time.

Jackie
    Attached Files

The "43K10107" refers to the year of a military contract with Sensenich (1943) and corresponds to model 72C42 and 72C44 which can be found on this page. It is a very common propeller (still available new today) used on a 65 HP Continental engine on a whole variety of aircraft such at the Piper Cub, Taylorcraft, Aeronca and others.

It does have the attractive "Lititz" style decal, but the hub alteration for a clock reduces its value considerably. (That's assuming that the hub had to be enlarged to accommodate the clock.) It may also have been re-varnished rather than simply waxed.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you for your answer. It is very helpfull ☺

Jackie

Comment

Jackie, a prop like this might sell well on eBay. You would need to remove the clock for a photo of the hub then put the clock back in for the rest of the pictures. All of the "D" serial numbers were manufactured in 1944. See this page.

So the prop is 70 years old, has excellent decals, and has a known application, even though it includes a lot of possible airplanes. Some people like the clock part, particularly if it still works or can be made to work.

If you do put it on eBay, please post that here so we can see how it does.

Comment

Working...
        X