BRISTOL F2B Fighter propeller 1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRISTOL F2B Fighter propeller 1918

Of this "JSF" of 1918 apparently only 3 versions are alive in UK - V12 engine (spectacular in 191.

I can get ownership of such propeller to sell through (in purpose for a reastauration project).
    What would be the price value? (and anybody interested?).

Mail at hansmooren@ziggo.nl

The plane landed lost in Holland 1918. Top Original condition, clear inscriptions:
    Gun Timing
    Bristol Fighter.F.2.B
    Siddeley
    &
    Puma Eng.
    DNG.A.B.7935.R.H.
    D.2900.P.2230.
    G.1746.N.87.

Value is extremely dependent on condition. Has it been altered in any way, including re-varnishing? Are there original decals present?

Here's one that I used to own, and either sold or traded at one point. It's the same model but was used on a DH9, and was in original and near pristine condition.
    Dave

Comment

Bristol prop

No alternations, no new varnish. This British plane landed in NL at 1918. No decals as it was a used propeller.

Any value idea? Thx

Comment

Can you post a picture showing its condition?
        Dave

Comment

As a rough guide until we see a photograph, a prop like this at auction in GB might make about £1700 plus VAT at 20% but auctions can be widely variable.

For example, if two enthusiasts bid against each other, each determined to win, the price could be chased up to £3000 plus VAT. Conversely, poorly presented and in poor condition and in the wrong auction house it might only make £700.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hans023 View Post
            No alternations, no new varnish. This British plane landed in NL at 1918. No decals as it was a used propeller.

Any value idea? Thx
            Just as a point of reference, the decals should remain in place even when used, and IMHO the presence of decals associated with evidence of use (i.e. "witness marks" from the mounting on a hub) adds value to most propellers of that era.

When decals are absent from a propeller where they generally are there in other examples my first question is "why"?
            Dave

Comment

My records show that the batch of 100 propellers that this propeller came from was made by the British & Colonial Co.

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                My records show that the batch of 100 propellers that this propeller came from was made by the British & Colonial Co.

Bob
                In that case I'd be surprised if they didn't leave the factory with decals. I always thought their decal was particularly elegant.

Attached Files
                Dave

Comment

Lovely photographs Dave. I agree with your thought that this company always put a decal on their props.

The company still exists in Bristol. The last complete aircraft they made was the Concorde. Nowadays they make wings for the European Airbus consortium.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you for the information!

That prop is in a museum but as no decalls seen and value not far higher (than the trade in value of a more unique prop I have at home), I will let it go.

If somebody later on reads this thread and is in big need of such specific prop they can contact me and I will liaise with the museum if they want to sell (it's now in their stock).

Thanks,

Hans

Comment

Working...
                    X