Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybach Propeller Ebay?

Hello

Any ideas on the identity of this one on Ebay?

ANTIQUE World War 1 Wooden Airplane Zeppelin Propeller
    HUGE 12 FEET LONG !!!...Marked Maybach 260hp...German ? Item number: 290159018610

Cheers
    Rob

Maybach Propeller on Ebay

Hi Rob, I took a look at the Maybach Propeller on EBAY. WOW!! thats a BIG one. I believe the R on the hub signals it is from a German bomber of the World War One era as there were a couple very large bombers made in that time period that used the Maybach engines including the Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI which had 4 engines, two facing front and two facing the rear. It is also possible this is an early Airship prop. Either way it's pretty impressive. Hope this helped.

John

Comment

It is impressive. I suspect the final bid will be quite high, even though it appears to be a refinished item. German props are often hard to narrow down.

Someone might want to pose the question on www.theaerodrome.com, where there are a number of experts on WW1 aircraft in general.
      Dave

Comment

Interesting discussion on theaerodrome.

It looks like it may actually have been made for one of the U.S. built airships in the early twenties, possibly the Los Angeles.
        Dave

Comment

The construction of this prop is typically German and nine laminations are often seen on larger WW1 German props. The brass sheathing is also completely typical of German workmanship. On British and French props such sheathing indicated a pusher configuration or a seaplane, but the Germans had very few pusher applications, although the 260hp Maybach was one of them in the Gotha bomber, and I have not seen a German pusher prop with sheathing.

I conclude that it is possible that this is a WW1 German prop from a naval sea plane but the bolt hole pattern is atypical for German usage and the lettering for 260hp Maybach is certainly suspicious. So are the witness marks of the hub plate at the left of the hub. But the serial number, which is reminiscent of both Wolff and Heine, looks correct. The bolt holes appear to have some ovality, indicatiing a flown example.

I am researching it for the new owner who will shortly send me detailed photographs which might reveal more. I'll report back.

My preliminary thought is that it is a genuine WW1 German prop, probably from the German navy and that the Maybach stampings are spurious, possibly added later to increase its sellability.

Finally I should add that I have seen two or three Maybach 260ps props which were all around 3200mm in diameter. We haven't measured this one yet but 'over twelve feet' suggests around 3700mm.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi there,

I just read this thread. I have a similair propeller. It's for a 260 hp mercedes engine and dated 1917. So far I know it is from a Gotha V bomber. One of those bombers crashed in Zeeland. (a province of Holland) Close to this spot I found this propeller hanging in an old school. There are also some pictures of this crash. A total wrecked plane but one propellor still intact on the engine.
            Mine is also huge. 3,60 meter. with copper platting on the tips.
            Has someone a picture of this propeller you mentioned? Also very interested for how much the prop sold for.

Greetings,

Roland

Comment

Hi Roland,

This thread goes back to October, 2007 and eBay only keeps item info for 90 days. Maybe someone here will remember.

Lamar

Comment

The propeller sold for $4410 in SEP07. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X