No announcement yet.

Avro Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt that it's "bogus", although it's certainly possible. More likely it just needs more information and research before you make any decisions about buying it. It's easy when you know exactly what it is and what airplane it was designed for, but not all of them fall into that category.

Also, very often the stamped information is inaccurate, often just because it's hard to read.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Ripple,

I had long thought that family history would be utterly accurate but I am frequently amazed at what people think their heirloom propeller is. A Spitfire prop is quite common, taken from the aircraft that Granddad flew in the war. I have never known such an assertion to be true. The prop in question is often from a Tiger Moth, an Oxford, occasionally an Anson.

Skip a generation further back and you have Great-grandfather's prop from his Sopwith Camel that he flew in WW1. This too is primarily a Tiger Moth prop from WW2 and hardly ever a prop from WW1.

There is no intention to deceive me. All these nice people are flabberghasted by my news. This might possibly be because youngsters and even teenagers do not listen to their grandfather's war stories but surely this cannot be true?

The label that you refer to does not match the prop. It is also nonsense.
      "This propeller come from an Avro 504K which flew with the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Navy Air Service from 1914. With 110 hp Gnome Monosoupe Rotary Engine it took 5 minutes to climb to 3,500', and had a top speed of 70 mph."
      The Avro 504 existed in A, B, C, D etc form from 1913 onwards. The K version came into use as a nightfighter in 1918, but largely was used as a trainer.

The prop drg number and diameter and pitch all confirm your prop is from a Martinsyde Scout. The exact number made is not known. 65 and 68 is often quoted.

The second prop to which you refer is a Lang Propeller Co. design fitted to the Grahame-White GW15 and probably to the REP Parasol.
      LP1041/60HP/LERHONE LH/D2360/P1010/8598

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X