Clear All

• Hartzell Wooden Propeller

I have a Hartzell wooden propeller with the following data:
    ATC No 722
    HP 65
    Design 824 A\45(72)
    SR No 19847
    RPM 2350

Friends have told me the prop was designed to generate 65 Horsepower at a sustained cruising speed of 2350 RPM's. The 2-blade prop, in fact, is 72 inches long and, apparently, began life with a 45 degree 'bite' to the blades.
    I do not know what the following data mean: ATC 722 - apparently it is not a valid Air Type Certificate - Design 824 A - what engine? - and, finally,
    SR No 19847 - since Hartzell does not keep records by serial number.
    Can anyone out there help me out? Any idea of date of manufacture, for what engine, and anything else? Is my current understanding of the data correct?
    Thanks for any help.

You've got it down pretty well, except that pitch is in inches, not degrees. (Think of it designed like a screw, which it is, and the pitch is the distance between threads in a line, so on yours it would theoretically move forward 45 inches in one revolution.) ATC is the propeller Type Certificate, but I'm not sure how you would search that now.

That, and one more click and you would find the usage information. Here's the click.
    Dave

Comment

Hartzell Wooden Propeller

Thanks, Dave, for your help. Do you have any idea of market vakue for the prop? Where can I buy appropriate Hartzell decals for the prop? Sorry to impose on you, but you seem to be a walking encyclopedia for Hartzell props. Thanks again. John.

Comment

Well, if you're looking for decals that implies that it's in rough or restored condition, and generally those sell for a few hundred dollars AT BEST. Check eBay for completed sales to get a better idea.

You can get reproduction decals from Nostalgic Reflections, but often they must be custom made.
        Dave

Comment

Hartzell Wooden Propeller

Dave - FYI I have since uncovered this info. ATC 728 - Approved Type Certificate issued by FAA for Aeronca A65 airplane, built in 1939. The prop was used on a Continental A65 engine which, in turn, was used on the Aeronca. Since the prop is pre-war, I do believe it is worth some good bucks. Thanks again for all your help - the link to the engine/airplane uses was great. John.

Comment

Working...
          X