Snowplane/Airboat propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowplane/Airboat propeller

Trying to find a bit out on a prop my father picked up 50-60 years ago.
    As he is no longer around to ask I am going by memory and believe I was told it came off of an RCMP snowplane that had been used in the Canadian north.
    Pusher prop
    Numbers on prop
    DRG 402
    Serial Y505
    PIT 28.9
    App 6 foot
    Metal hub, I believe I was told the hub was made of derilium [spelling?]
    This prop has been stored indoors for at least 40 years that I know of and other than dusty looks good.
    Is it safe to try to use a prop this old?
    I am restoring an antique snowplane and this would look great on it.
    Dave

It would be of great benefit to be able to see pictures of your prop. With a hub made of duraluminum and blades of wood or perhaps composite material, chances are it's an adjustable prop. We could certainly tell more with good quality pictures.

Lamar

Comment

Hi Lamar
      The last time I had a good look at the propeller was back in the early 80's.
      The blades are definitely wood and non adjustable.
      I took it in to a machine shop to have the flywheel of a 4 cyl engine drilled and tapped to mount it on.
      I then built a stand, prop cage and rudder with plans of mounting it on a set of pontoons.
      Fast forward 30 years I purchased a 1940's vintage snowplane and am exploring my options for a propeller for it.
      I need to pick up the propeller from my mothers attic 300 miles away so I can't provide any photos until then.
      I have an old ww2 vintage prop from a trainer aircraft I will pick up at the same time and post photos of as well.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X