Voisin Propeller details - query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voisin Propeller details - query

Can anyone help in advising what sort of details might be found on a 1909 Voisin II Biplane pusher propeller, in terms of labelling, logo, serial number or similar? Also where I might find any photos of that type of propellor - struggling to find anything via search engine. Thanks.

I can check a few references I have at home. Markings will vary by manufacturer, but usually contain a design number (stamped "Serie"), which itself may be traced to a certain manufacturer.

Decals are very helpful when present, and some manufacturers also stamped logos on the blade.
    Dave

Comment

That would be great thanks Dave; am looking for the sort of markings which might be found on a Voisin purchased in Hamburg, Germany in late 1909.

Comment

Hi Harry Day!

When I first read your question, I told myself: "Waoh, he wants to make one! For himself or to try to trick someone else?"
        But reading your post #3, I think you have the prop, or you found one for sale. In this case, the best way is to post picture and markings of the prop.
        Props from before 1910 are very rare and not well known, but not impossible to identify.
        By the way, are you sure of the date? Because 1909 for a Voisin "type 2" seems a little early for me...

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Hi PM. No; nothing as sinister as that! Basically I have been told that someone connected with my family bought a Voisin biplane in Hamburg in late 1909. Was told that it was a type 2 but could be wrong on that. There are a couple of avenues to explore regarding what became of it and, being realistic, the only part of it which might have survived would be the propeller. Simply trying to find out what it might look like or typical markings, etc. as searches online have drawn a blank so far.

Comment

OK!

First, stories about props are often approximative, if not worse...

For the tech part, I will involve an example that Dave uses very rightly: Props for aircraft are in many ways the same story that tires for cars. Many different cars and many different tires. One specific tire could fit some cars, and each car can use different tires. Looking at a tire specs, you can guess on which kind of car it could be fitted on (weight, speed, ...). But there are many and many brands/types you can use on your car.

So, I think you take the problem upside down: it is impossible to find the different propellers which might have been fitted on an aircraft of pre-WW1 era. Voisin was building aircraft for many peoples, who may have themselves used many brands and in each brand, many "serials". Most of them will be unknown for ever.

Until 1910, Voisin brothers used metallic props for themseves (they made them). Very few is known about those metallic props.
            If yours is wooden, it could be a little easier: first, looking at the hub, you can guess if it is for a pusher or for a tractor, but even that could be not takes for sure because with some engines the prop might be fitted between the a/c and the engine.
            Moreover, if there is some good knowledge "in the vicinity" for English, French, German and US props from WW1 era, data for previous era are very sparse, and next to nothing for props from other coutries. But, again, something could be told from the markings, decal, ..., of a specific prop, but the reverse is , IMHO, impossible.

If you are "shy" to show pics of your prop publicly, you can send pics to Bob Gardner or to me: we will never publish anything without your agreement. Use PM first to ask for mail.

Regards,
            PM
            Last edited by pmdec; 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

Thanks PM. Just to clarify, I don't actually have the propeller, am trying to track it down or at least discover what it might have looked like. There is a poor quality photo of it somewhere (or rather part of it) which I'll try to find. What we do know about it is that it was a pusher, apparently 8 feet long, probably supplied from Paris in late 1909 (a replacement for a broken one), and was a quite distinctive shape, being almost like a canoe paddle with a straight bit in the middle widening to blades towards the ends. The straight part was probably about 50% of the length overall with each of the 'paddle' ends being about 25% of the length each. The tips seem to be quite squared off rather than pointed.
              Hope that might help a little and thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X