WW1 RAF Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 RAF Prop

Hi I have had an old prop for many years and an imminent house move has led me to do a bit of research and find this forum , any help or guidance would be most appreciated . The prop has the following markings .

On the hub - RAF 4A , BE 12 & RE6 , T6298 , 12 CYL 140 HP .

On the blades - D2971
    P3170
    G749N49
    4th blade - Four square stamps with AID then some numbers I cant make out .

Now I figured out what the hub markings mean but have no idea what the
    markings on the blade mean . I would also like to know what value a prop
    like this has . Thanks Nick
    Attached Files

The "D" and "P" numbers refer simply to the diameter and pitch of the propeller. The "G N " grouping is a production numbering system. The "AID" stampings are inspection markings.

It looks like it's in original condition, which is good for value. Bob Gardner may chime in with a more accurate guess, but I'd say something in the $3k range in U.S. currency. They are a little pricey to ship, and that can make them hard to sell sometimes. Where are you located?

Incidentally, one advantage of a 4 blade is that is doesn't require the same maximum dimensions to display effectively as a 2 blade. For instance a 9 foot diameter 2 blade requires either 9 feet vertically or 9 feet horizontal of wall space or else would have to be mounted diagonally. A nine foot 4 blade will display fairly well in space that is considerably shorter in both height and width, since it is in effect being displayed "diagonally". I haven't done the math but I recall displaying an 8+ foot 4 blade in about 6 feet of square wall space.
    Dave

Comment

Hi , I am based in the UK so as far as selling it would seem more sensible
      to find someone in the UK , unless someone was super keen . The prop is in totally original condition and has only ever been dusted off with a soft cloth .
      I am quite attached to it as i have had it all my life but realistically someone else may get more pleasure from ownership than me . Hope to hear what Bob thinks too ! cheers

Comment

Hi Nick,

For the information of other forumites;
        D2971 diameter in mm
        P3170 pitch in mm
        T6298 a drawing no of the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) for the BE12 and RE8 aircraft also designed by the RAF. (you quoted RE6, but I think it will be RE8.)
        G749 N49; No49 in the 749 batch, dates it to about May 1918.
        RAF4A is the engine, designed again by the RAF.
        AID indicates a successful inspection by the Aeroplane Inspection Department

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Nick,

I am interested in buying it. 07774 120692.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 08-21-2010, 06:19 AM.
          Bob Gardner

Comment

By the way, Dave's note, copied below, relates to Pythagorus's theorem;

Incidentally, one advantage of a 4 blade is that is doesn't require the same maximum dimensions to display effectively as a 2 blade. For instance a 9 foot diameter 2 blade requires either 9 feet vertically or 9 feet horizontal of wall space or else would have to be mounted diagonally. A nine foot 4 blade will display fairly well in space that is considerably shorter in both height and width, since it is in effect being displayed "diagonally". I haven't done the math but I recall displaying an 8+ foot 4 blade in about 6 feet of square wall space.

The square on the hypotenuse is the sum of the square on the other two sides. Thus a prop nine feet in diameter will occupy a square of 6.36ft.

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Thanks for that Bob pretty sure it was RE 6 though I will double check . As I understand that aircraft never made it into production . I will give you a bell in the next couple of day's , in the middle of moving house so things are a little chaotic !
              Cheers Nick

Comment

Working...
              X