Help with Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Repair

I recently purchased an "Early" Hartzell propeller with 8 holes and nearly 9 feet long. It has damage to one of the tips, well it has been broken off. Someone tried to glue it back together in the past. I would like to repair it with as little disturbance to the prop as possible, but I am not sure how. I intend to keep the prop and display it, but I don't want to damage its value any more than it already is. Any suggestions?

It might be better left as is. It's going to be very hard to make an "invisible" repair, and the quality of that would depend on the person doing it, so sometimes it's best to not even try, because you might make it worse.

A picture of precisely what you are dealing with would help, but there will always be some uncertainty about the "best" choice.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching a picture of the break. The prop looks there was a prop strike and the tip could have broken then. Someone put a glue or epoxy on the break to keep the pieces together.
      Attached Files

Comment

Somehow my gut tells me you should just leave it the way it is, but I don't think it matters much either way now, especially since it's been attempted once before. But if epoxy didn't hold it once I'm not sure you can expect much from it the second time around . . .
        Dave

Comment

Well, I am pretty excited about the prop and it will look good even with a missing tip. I will see if I can clean off the glue or whatever it is off of the pieces. If not, I will clean it with some linseed oil and put some wax on it. The varnish is worn in some places and the wood will need protecting.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Something you may want to consider so that the tip doesn't become misplaced is to use something like a tongue depressor to create a splint. Put two-sided tape on it, put the tip and the main part of the prop together and put the now sticky tongue depressor behind the two pieces and overlapping the break so that the pieces stay together.

Lamar
            Last edited by MWP_Lamar; 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I have been very old repairing wood for many years. If you were near me I would do it for free and it would look fine. I would brush on some stripper to remove the old glue carefully and then glue it back properly. Rick B

Comment

Working...
              X