Lewis decal placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis decal placement

Guy Watson (Wings of History Museum) wants to know how the decals were placed on the propeller from the factory. Ole Fahlin's were right-side-up on the left blade as viewed from the front; Sensenich's are r.s.u. on the right blade. Anyone know absolutely?
    Dwight

Here are a selection of photographs of Lewis decals, in the hope that these help a little. My experience with British WW1 props is that makers decals varied in size and location. You would expect them to be in a standardised location, but it was often not so. Sometimes the position was influenced by the shape of the blade. Was it more formalised in the production of American props?

With regards,

Bob

Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob:
      Looks like the decal on the third photo is right side up on the right-hand blade (the leading edge is visable). Are the others also?
      Dwight

Comment

Hello Dwight,

I'm afraid that I don't know. I have collected photographs of decals for some time but have neglected both the position of the decal and the shape of the prop. The fourth photo was the only one that I had that came near to answering your question and I included the other three in case they were of interest.

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Of the ones I've seen in person as well as pictures where I could tell the placement, the decal goes right side up on the right hand blade, roughly on the center of the blade.

Lamar

Comment

Lamar: The question is: on which blade should the decal be right side up as one faces the hub -- on the left blade or on the right?
            Dwight

Comment

As I said above, right blade.

Lamar

Comment

That's the way it's shown in their catalog as well.

The Fahlin placement seems to be opposite of how most of them are placed, both on early props and more modern ones.
                Dave

Comment

Lamar, Dave:
                  Thanks for your trouble. As soon as I have the propeller from Wings of History, I'll post a picture.
                  Dwight

Comment

Thanks Dwight. I'll look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X