Fokker D VII Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fokker D VII Propeller

Came into possession of a WWI Fokker D VII propeller recently and wanted to see if anyone could give me a estimate of it's value. The propeller was built by Rechnke in Berlin between 1918-1926 for a BMW IIIa high altitude engine used in the Fokker D VII.
    Some dimensions:
    9'8" long
    Copper lined lead edge
    9 inch hub
    8 bolt holes in hub

Some of the markings on the prop:
    No 38553
    185 PS
    BMW
    D292
    Type 1
    SChKe
    _ _ _ _ B S C h

Also in possession, a letter from BMW dated 8/1976 where they confirm the above information. Not 100% sure we will sell it, at this point we just need to set it's value as part of determining worth of my father's estate. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum, Stape.

The BMW IIIa engine was used on the Fokker D VII in 1918 and post war on the successful civilian Junkers F13a, the Czech Aero A18, A26 military aircraft and in several minor projects (such as the Lithuanian Dobi series).

Reschke began making props in 1910 when owned by Julius Metzer. He sold the company to Franz Reschke in 1913. The company survived the end of the war by making props for civilian aircraft and examples of their props are known well into the 1920's.

During WW1 they made props primarily for Mercedes, Argus and Benz engines used in Rumpler, Hannover, AGO, and Albatros aircraft. I have no record of them making props for Fokker aircraft or BMW engines during the war. Fokker used Integral props initially in WW1, then those of Axial. A few minor makers such as Bechstein and Anker were also used. The only maker of props for the BMW III used with the Fokker D VII that I have recorded so far is Heine.

The highest war time serial number for a Reschke prop that I have seen is in the 16,000s. The serial number of 38,000 on your prop suggests it was made later in the 1920's. The use of metal sheathing on leading edges was also a feature of civilian aircraft of the 1920's and 1930's.

Therefore, it might be that your prop is post war, civilian and from the Junkers F13a which was built in quite large numbers, although the use of the BMW engine was superceded by mid decade by Junkers own L2 and L5 engines. I should add that identifying props is difficult much of the time, particularly when I haven't seen the prop, so you should not assume that my thoughts above are anything more than that.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Its value depends very much on its condition, whether original or restored, etc.
      Dave

Comment

Stape can you post a photograph of the complete prop and of the data stamped on it?

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-05-2010, 04:00 AM.
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you both for the information. I'm trying to get better pictures, taken with a camera with higher resolution, but here's what I have right now.
          Attached Files

Comment

Good Morning Stape,

Your prop looks more like a WW1 prop than a 1920's example and the diameter and pitch match the prop for a D VII. Now we have to work out why it has metal sheathing and such a high serial number.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

More Info

A couple of documents that might help shed some light. Two were written by my dad to BMW in 1976, the third was their response.
              Attached Files

Comment

The diameter of the propeller doesn't match with the Fokker D-VII,
                the diameter was exactly 282 cm. The Fokker C-1 propeller diameter was 292 cm
                and had also the BMW IIIa engine.

With kind regards,
                Gert de Leeuw
                Holland

Comment

Working...
                X