Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.V.Roe WW1 Propeller T-521

Dear Aviators:
    I have acquired a Mahoghany A. V. Roe (AVRO) propeller and need some help with its identification.
    On the outside middle of the prop (outer center of the hub) is stamped 5301 Opposite side is stamped 2744 dia and under that 2134 (assumed pitch) The inside surface of the hub has: AVRO _31 – 100 – P -1000 – T – 521
    On the opposite side of hub: B-925
    It is an 8-hole hub, no metal(hub)attached. Overall length is 8 ½ +feet Center bore is 2.75 inches Hub thickness is about 6.5 inches Hub diameter is 7.5 inches There are no canvas or metal tips on the blades Decal on one blade appears original Condition is very likely original varnish. There are a few nicks, but otherwise quite decent condition for it’s assumed “age”

My research on the Internet lists the closest application possibility as a Gnome Engine (100 hp) of 1200 rpm, based off the majority of measurements.

If possible, I would also like to know approximately what plane or planes would have used this prop, what should I insure it for, and the best way to preserve and display it.

Thanks,
    Please e-mail and I'll send pictures
    G.L. Simpson glsimpson"at"bellsouth.net
    Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

Are those the full numbers, or do the hyphens represent numbers or digits that can be read?
    Dave

Comment

serial numbers on AVRO prop

Dave
      Thanks for your kind and prompt reply. The only letter I can't make out is right after the letters "AVRO" in front of the number 31 ( ?31). The 100 is followed by HP, so I am assuming 100 HP for horsepower. The dashes or hypens are on the serial numbers, not inferring missing numbers. The propeller is visually a dead ringer for a Spad VII or Jenny, based on your web's photos with the exception of the 100 HP rating. I have an actual photo of an Ace standing in front of his Spad XIII, and the propeller "looks" exactly the same (including tips), but a Spad XIII would have had a Hispano Suiza engine of much greater HP rating. The only thing different than those on your site is that the tips are more squared off, not sawn flat. I tried to send photos to your e-mail address, but can resend in case they were blocked.

Thanks,
      Garey
      glsimpson"at"bellsouth.net

Comment

Gary,

Your Avro prop is an early one from the Avro 504, dating from around 1914 when the aircraft was used in the front line The drg no. is Y31, 'Y' indicating that the designer was AV Roe. The general diameter was 2740mm but some variation was allowed in construction, hence yours at 2744.

If yours has an Avro decal, could you please send me a close up photo, in focus, at a fairly high resolutiion which I can use in the next update of my book. Also photos of the hub data would be most interesting.

The prop was powered by the 100hp Gnome Monosoupape (one valve).

Your prop is rare and interesting. Look after it and don't restore it!

With regards,

Bob
        www,aeroclocks.com
        aeroclocks@btinternet.com
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob:
          Thank you very much for your prompt and thoughtful assistance with this propeller identification. I will try to take some better resolution photos for you and will forward them accordingly.
          I will not attempt any restoration whatsoever. When I received the propeller, I dusted it off with a moist cotton towel. No application of wax or furniture polish was needed because the finish was so well preserved. The mahoghany is absolutely beautiful, with very interesting grain variations. It is presently resting securely on top of an entertainment cabinet entirely out of harm's way, assuming no earthquakes or cataclysmic events. I would, however, greatly appreciate some guidance on the best ways to properly display the propeller.
          There is only one decal, which is midway down the front of the starboard leading edge. It appears that the decal was applied before the varnish, so I do not know if it was subsequently refinished or not. Having had a hand in refinishing wooden boats, I would say that if it were re-finished, whoever did it was a perfectionist as there are no runs or other imperfections. I would also expect that if decals were applied over the varnish, that they would be easily eroded in use. Other than some minor marks, it is in very remarkable condition (no bragging intended)...
          My compliments on your research prowess,
          Garey

Comment

Sounds like a nice propeller. Can you post a photo here (or email one to me and I can post it)?

I've used this method for display mounting and find it works quite well. You can do it with threaded bolts instead of dowels but it's a little more work, and the dowels work fine, at least in the absence of earthquakes.
            Dave

Comment

Here's the pic. Thanks, Garey.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X