Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Levasseur propeller... from a Fokker D.XI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levasseur propeller... from a Fokker D.XI?

Hi,
    being a newby on this forum....

I have an old propeller, it seems to be a Levasseur propeller of 8 ft diameter.

Looking at markings and numbers on the prop, I concluded that it is a propeller used on a a Fokker d.XI from about 1923/ 1924 and a Hispano Suiza 300 hp engine. So after the "Great War".

I would appreciate if experts on this forum verify my findings. I have set data and photos in a PDF file for review.

Some questions...

(1) is it logical that in 1923/1924 Fokker acquired Levasseur propellers for its aircraft after the Great War? So could use it on the D.XI biplane fighter.
    (I could not check that this propeller was used on this type in my references).

(2) I see a logo in the shape of a World Globe on the prop. What could that be?

(3) It reads Helice Levasseur .. Evete S.G.D.G
    it is that vague and wear on the prop... should it read...... BREVETE

Any suggestions and comments welcome!

Meindert,
    The Netherlands

DETAILS in attached PDF
    Attached Files

Hi,

The prop is clearly a Levasseur, made after 1922 from the small hexagons ("6 squared") airworthy stamps.
    The prop number (28645 or 256?5 from your readings???) tells it is from 1923 or 1924, but only direct view of the markings can bring something useful. So you have to post (in a PDF if you prefer) the pics of the 4 sides of the hub, large and clear, and one of each decal. I can't say anything without them.

Regards,
    PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
      Hi,

The prop is clearly a Levasseur, made after 1922 from the small hexagons ("6 squared") airworthy stamps.
      The prop number (28645 or 256?5 from your readings???) tells it is from 1923 or 1924, but only direct view of the markings can bring something useful. So you have to post (in a PDF if you prefer) the pics of the 4 sides of the hub, large and clear, and one of each decal. I can't say anything without them.

Regards,
      PM
      ------------
      Thank you for your quick response!

[1] regarding prop number. See photo.
      The space ? between 6 and 5, feeling with my finger tips, does not indicate an indented number here...
      So is it not simply just number 2 8 6 5
      (see photo)

[2] regarding logo/decal, see photo of each one.
      These show heavy wear, particularly the left side of the logo/decal is not really seen anymore.

[3] any idea what the "globe" decal could mean?

Thanks, Meindert
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Hi know I am not a very fluent English writer but I thought that ".../... pics of the 4 sides of the hub, large and clear, and one of each decal. I can't say anything without them" was easy to understand even if it is not Cambridge English...
        Pristine Levasseur decal is very well known and could be easy found on Internet with all the writing.
        The other decal is simply the one of the laquer/varnish maker but the pic is not enough a close up to be read.
        The 4 sides of the hub are missing...

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Working...
        X