Turn of century propellers, usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn of century propellers, usage?

Greetings to the members of the Woodenpropeller forum.

I am a picker by profession and today a friend showed me and I bought an early propeller that had him stumped and me as well.

Unlike models I have seen on your board this one is about 6' long 1" thickness and around 4" width. It has about a 1" center hole and 2 screw holes, is made of a single wood board carved to give it a low thrust ratio and has thin copper applied to the tips and a weight applied I'm guessing for balance.

It has a illegible decal applied to the blade.

To my unknowledgable eye it seems far too fragile to be a prop for an aircraft and I was thinking perhaps an antique airboat or some use I cannot fathom. I am going to upload photos to my facebook page at www.facebook.com/PaulsPicks this evening.

What other uses would a propeller of this size possibly have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that the most likely usage for that style is a wind generator of some kind. I've seen almost identical designs in some of the vineyards in California.

I agree with your presumption that it's not an aircraft propeller.
    Last edited by Dave; 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by carolinaskies;12563.../...I am going to upload photos to my facebook page at [url
      www.facebook.com/PaulsPicks[/url] this evening.

What other uses would a propeller of this size possibly have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Hi,

For those who don't use FaceBook nor have an account there*, could you upload the pics in a place where you can put a direct link here to view them? Or simply here?

Regards,
      PM

*yes, those people do exist!

Comment

There are a few more, but these will get the general point across.
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for the leads. I have identified the prop as a Wincharger blade for 1930's farm generators thanks to your help.

Comment

And thank you for the pics !

Best regards,
            PM

Comment

Working...
            X