Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with identifying two wood propellers

Hello everyone!

i am a collector from sweden that collects flight related items ans especially
    items from world war 2.
    I have a wood propeller that i know is a swedish Thulin propeller, the only marking on it is an A. I bought it at an auction here in sweden and the pictures with the white background are from the auction companys site (used with permission!).

The other wood propeller my friend bought at a fleamarket this sunday, at the same place i bought a propeller from an klemm kl 35. His bears no marking whatsoever.

Can any of you guys help us to id what planes they are from?

We would be very thankfull!

Joakim
    Attached Files

two more pictures of my friends propeller.
    Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, there were just so many different propeller designs that identification by appearance is nearly impossible. Even with drawing numbers (which refer to the architectural drawings) there is not a good cross-referencing system for matching propellers to their corresponding aircraft usage, particularly as it relates to US manufacturers prior to WW2.

Equally unfortunately, this absence of accurate information tends to spawn claims of usage that can be difficult to challenge with factual proof that a given propeller was not used on a specific airplane. I've seen some pretty bizarre claims over the years . . .
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dave!

Well i cant tell you very much more about my friends prop.
        But mine came directly from the family who worked with the Thulin verket at making planes. Is there anything i can ad in info to make it easier to id any of them?

Joakim

Comment

I'm afraid there isn't. I explain to people that propellers were like tires. There were thousands of different variants in size and shape and materials. Trying to identify a part of a propeller is not unlike trying to identify a fragment of tire without reference to any design numbers. There are simply too many possibilities to make it practical.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X