Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Airship Prop Indentification

Hi All,

I've just found this site, so learning my way around.

I have a small wooden prop passed down from my grandfather who died when I was 11. I understand it was from an airship but have no details. It's 32" in diameter, has a metal hub for an approximately half inch shaft. The only markings are 'P24' stamped into the wood. I believe my grandfather worked in aircraft manufacturing of some sort during WW1 and the family lived at Hendon at some stage, before emigrating to Australia in 1927. He was a carpenter/cabinet maker by trade. It may be a generator or auxilliary prop of some type.

Any clues? I can post a photo when I figure out how.

Rod.

Greetings Rod and welcome to the forum. We'll do our best to help.

At the moment your info doesn't give us much to go on. A photograph of the prop and a close up of the detail of both sides of the hub will help. The photographs must be in focus and the subject must be well lit. This probably sounds entirely obvious but it is necessary to repeat it often on this forum.

As a first thought, it is likely that your prop is an auxiliary prop but unlikely that it is from an airship. These travelled slowly without much airflow to power an aux prop and weight was of a lesser consideration. Generators, alternators and dynamos could be added to the engines.

We'll be able to tell you more when we have seen the photographs.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-07-2012, 06:48 AM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
    X