Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Propeller

I have a wooden propeller, 8ft tall, with 8 bolt holes, copper plating on tips of propeller that extend approx. 1 ft. 6 inch. inward. Copper has "Chase S. Story Glendale, CA." scribed into it on both tips. Some numbers stamped on propeller are not legible. I can read one set of numbers, 0922, on one side of center hole and a D at the begining of string of five letters and or numbers on the other side of center hole. Anyone have any info they can share or find regarding these letters, numbers and about Chase S. Story Glendale, CA? I have googled Chase S. Story and can not find anything. Can post pictures to help gain more info.

Chase S. Story Propelllers

Good Morning,
    I do not have any technical information on Chase S. Story Propellers, but Chase Story, and his wife, Cecilia, were very good friends with my Grandmother, Anna K. Tupper and my mother Betty Tupper Ford. My mother, now 91 and going strong, recollects that his shop was near the railroad tracks on San Fernando Blvd., in Glendale. I have a photo of her, on Chase's shoulders, wearing a sombrero, as a child. She thinks that Wiley Post was his most famous customer.
    I am looking for a Chase Propeller to buy, so if you would like to sell yours, let me know. Thank you, John Ford

Comment

To my knowledge the records of C.S. Story no longer exist. These records would tell us the usage.

Lamar

Comment

Chase S. Story Propelllers

Thank you for your prompt response. Mr. Chase Story died suddenly, of a heart attack, while camping out on the desert with his wife. Mom thought that he may have had a partner. I will look into that further when I visit my uncle later this month, perhaps I can get a lead on what happened to the records.

Comment

Thank you John W. Ford. The design records or a copy of them or the prop specs would be truly invaluable.

Lamar

Comment

Regarding the Chase Storey prop: It doesn't look like I will be able to shed any light on the Chase Storey prop Lamar has. My mother was young and my uncle was 8 years younger. His wife, Seeley Story, was a good friend of my grandmother, but they have both passed away. The Storey propellor business may have been bought by another company, but I can't find any leads. Sorry.
            I would still be interested in purchasing any Chase Storey prop that may be available. Regards, John Ford

Comment

Chase S. Story

I've attached a few shots of an old wooden prop that's been hanging on my den wall since ~1976. My Dad bought it for $1. It had been run into the ground at some point, and the tips were pretty frayed. I actually took out my circular saw and was preparing to cut it up for disposal, but had second thoughts, and after some reshaping, and sacrifice of the mangled outboard sections of copper leading edge, it turned into a reasonably nice display. The red paint at the hub masks the stains from the dozens and dozens of 3/8" long screws that secured the plywood bullet nose. Unauthentic for sure, for the revised shape, and clearly for the Hamilton Standard decals, but a good conversation piece nonetheless. You can see in one of the shots, the maker's name "Chase S. Story."
              Attached Files

Comment

Chase Storey prop

Thank you for posting the pictures of your Storey prop. I am still looking for one, let me know if you want to sell it. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X