Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal

Hi all,

Did anybody knows the decal on the attached pic ? It could be from the late 40's to the early 70's. The prop seems to be for a Gipsy Major fitted on a Tiger Moth or on a Stamp SV4.

Thanks by advance,
    PM
    Attached Files

Bonjour mon aviation ami!

This is the decal of the Airscrew Company, a British company formed from the remnants of Lang Propellers in the early 1920s. It employed the superb designer Dr Watts and its props are known as both Airscrew props and as Watts props.

Avec le respect,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Many thanks, Bob.
      Was the design always the same, or is it possible to guess a time, even a large one, for the use of this one?
      Regards,
      PM

Comment

Pierre-Michel,

There were at least four variations on the Airscrew Co decal and this one is late and possibly the last. My guess is that it dates from WW2 or later. However I emphasise that this is a guess based on very little information because it is a post WW1 company that I have not researched in detail.

Incidentally the company evolved from the Lang Company after it became bankrupt at the end of WW1.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thank again. I join a pic of one side with markings, but I have no other one for now:

The prop is left handed, and supposed to come from a Stampe, but nothing to confirm this.
          I have found an old post on woodenpropeller forum suggesting 6013/1 from a Tiger Moth and some infos on Internet suggesting 6013/2 was for Aerovan and Messenger 2b. All 3 with Gipsy Major.
          I have not found any info that Stampe used it: nor with Gipsy Major nor with Renault engine.

Best regards,
          PM

Comment

Working...
          X