Think this is for a Jenny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think this is for a Jenny

The markings are hard to read because the prop was painted.
    I can see JN4, US Army Sgnal Corps and OX.
    I am thinking of either selling it or donating to a museum.
    The length is 84". Hub hole 2" 10/16.
    Any info and estimated value is appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jimmyjet; 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM. Reason: Better Pics

Does it say anything on the other side? I'm suspicious that this isn't an authentic propeller, but can't tell from just what you've posted.
    Dave

Comment

Nothing I can see.
      There is a wooden 1/4" backing plate on the hub.
      Attached Files

Comment

It may be covering some important information. The attached photos show the hub of a reproduction propeller. It's the same as yours. On the back of that propeller is a stamping for the Whifferdell Company with a ZIP CODE. Zip codes weren't around until the 50's, I believe, but certainly not in the teens and twenties. The tips of yours have been painted, but I believe that the whole thing is artificial. I suspect that if you dig into the material you'll discover that it isn't even made of wood. I was told that these were made for the movie industry, and have seen several of them appear on eBay and other places. One of the tip offs is the conspicuous deep grain appearance of the "wood". That is not characteristic of WW1 era propellers.

This has very little value unless you can disprove that it's one of these reproduction propellers. Sorry.
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave!
          Your pictures look exactly like my prop.
          The deep grain,,the light weight and what I thought might be bondo repairs seem to prove your case.
          Thanks for the info...........Jim

Comment

Working...
          X