Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Sopwith prop markings

Hi !

I recently receive photos of a Sopwith prop which markings seems strange to me (I am not used with them anyway ...). They read:

On one hub side:

SOPWITH . F. 1. (CAMEL.)
    DNG. NO. A. D. 644. R.H.
    130. H. P. CLERGET.
    D2590. P. 2650.
    G.1207. NO. 32.

Nothing on the other side

On one flat side:

G.1207. n.32.
    And the 4 airworthiness stamps:
    Two side by side, with ??? (perhaps 3?8 ) under AID
    Two, side by side, with GIV under AID
    An arrow pointing to a A

On the other flat side:

That's all.

At first sight, they seem very classic markings, but ... I can't understand the presence of letters or signs highlighted in red:

Why a "N" in "DNG"? Doesn't it have to be a "R" or a "W"?

For me, a "O" after a "N" is used in French (for "Numéro") but not in English for "Number"...

And what about the brackets around "CAMEL": is it a current practice?

May this prop be a replica? The owner told me the prop was given to him 20 years ago, and the man who give it had founded the prop near an ancient WW1 base in north of France when he was young. But he can't give any proof of this ...

Blades are covered with fabric (light green painted), which also seems original. So, I think the whole prop is in such good condition it can't be true! ...Is there Sopwith prop replica like this one?

What do you think of all that ???

PS : And sorry for my frenchie English ...
    Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM.

It looks original and authentic to me. The "G" and "N" numbers stamped on British propellers seem to be nothing more than production (serial) numbers, and as near as I can tell have no real significance.
    Dave

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you for your answer. I have many others photos of this propeller. Do you know what I have to look for to have an evaluation of maker name and date of making ? There are so many Google results for Sopwith propeller" that I don't find where to search ...
      Thanks by advance,
      PM

Comment

It will be hard to know the exact date of manufacture, since I'm not aware of any lists that specify the dates of production based on the "G" and "N" numbers.

The manufacturer was likely the Air Department, Admiralty, as determined by the drawing number AD 644, referenced in the attached list.
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X