Manufacturer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturer

Has anyone heard of The American Propeller Manufacturing Company out of Baltimore, Md. Went out of business sometime around late 1940's.

I have a 9' 6" dark (looks mahogany) propeller with 8 bolt holes and says RT hand.

My father bought a bunch after the war and sold all but one which is now in my possession. I'm interesting in selling it as it's too big and heavy to move and has been store at my home for the past 29 years.

Thanks all if anyone has a clue where I should go next in identifying this.

That company manufactured over 25,000 propellers before the end of WW1 under the trade name Paragon. They are quite collectible and even at that size can be shipped via FedEx Express (it's too large for FedEx Ground).

Does it have decals? Can you post a picture and provide any of the stamped information on the hub?
    Dave

Comment

Yes, it does say Paragon and it still has it's Baltimore decal. I know there are numbers on it but because of the way it is 'hanging' I cannot get up there to see at this time.

Comment

PS: It has NOT been refinished. It's in it's dirty state from storage.
        I will go out there with husband's help and get all the numbers that are engraved into it. Will "attempt" a picture as it is in a dark place.

Comment

A photo will certainly help. Based on the size it's almost certainly a Liberty engine model, most of which were used on early Navy flying boats or wheeled DH4's. Most of the time that can be narrowed down by examining the various stampings around the hub.
          Dave

Comment

Sorry it's been many months

I finally have the information on this propeller but could NOT get a picture to show up, it was just in such a difficult place where it has been hanging for 30 years.

It is 'stamped' 9' 5"

6.75 right hand

numbers: s.o. and then either a 3 or an 8 followed by 7256 It was hard to tell the 3/8 but definately one or the other

8 bolt holes.

Decals on each blade state American Propeller Manufacturing Company, Baltimore, Maryland Paragon.

I will more than appreciate any help you can give me on this. I had an 'expert' back in 1980 tell me there were no 9 plus ft. propellers but this one is.

Comment

A PS to the above description:

There is NO metal sheathing on the ends of the blades

There is NO change in color or wood type on each blade

Thanks again.

Comment

Most of those that were that size were used on Liberty engines on a variety of aircraft. Based on the absence of metal sheathing and the "S.C." stamping (which refers to the Signal Corps) yours was most likely used on a landplane rather than a flying boat.

Thousands of those propellers were sold off as surplus after WW1. Most were never mounted on aircraft.

Where are you located? Maybe someone could buy it and pick it up.
                Dave

Comment

I am on the coast of South Carolina. It's never been restored or refinished or for that matter 'dusted off'. What would be a low ball price and what would be a top price in your estimation?

Can't say thank you enough. My Dad passed away before I could grill him on the propeller. He bought a dozen or so and sold them except this one.
                  He went to school in Baltimore and my mother was from Baltimore so I can only assume that is how he got info on the sale of them. He passed away in 1984 at age 81.

Thank you ever so much.

Comment

It's hard to place a value on it without actually seeing it, since often there are features which can make it almost worthless that aren't recognized or appreciated by the owner.

That said, the RANGE that these generally sell for seems to be in the $500 to $2000 figures, but would be more if it could be positively identified, which I doubt that it can, based on what you've posted. They were all sold for $2 to $5, but that was in the 1920's . . .
                    Dave

Comment

when this cold weather breaks I'm going to again, using a friend's camera, try and take a picture. I know the hub is good condition, the leading edges are smooth. I'm wondering if the ends were not coated with metal or other material because this was a brand new one, never used on a plane. My Dad purchased them straight from the company before they closed their doors.

I know the finish is very very dark, like aged mahogany. The finish is crazed in places, like what happens to antique furniture that has dried out and there are two drops of 1/2 inch or less of sticky black substance almost like tar. I guess I could start at $2,000 and see where I get. Back in the 1970's a museum in California offered $750.00 but I would have to ship. No. So I still have it.

I would rather have someone own it who would appreciate i

C:Can't thank you enough for your help with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X