George Betjemann & Sons Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Betjemann & Sons Limited

Having seen a posting from back in 2009 that implied props from this cabinetmaker were few and far between, I thought I would pass on the details of a two-blader I've got, marked with the company's name, the reference DG.P43 RH, for an 80hp le Rhone with diameter of 102.375 and pitch of 92.2. It also carries the number B8687 which, assuming it's the a/c serial, is an Avro 504.

If anyone has any further information or comments, I'd be most grateful.

JPB,

Welcome to the forum.

Yours is only the third complete surviving Betjemann prop that I have recorded, although various hubs and blades are also known.

The P43 drawing number, where P indicates a Bristol drawing number, was used with both the 80hp Le Rhone and the 80hp Gnome on the Sopwith Pup, Beardmore WBIII, Avro 504K, and SB3D.

The Government paid Betjemann £12 15s 0d for each P43 propeller made.

B8687 is Betjemann's serial number usually written as B8 687 where B8 is probably the type of propeller (B7 is also known) and 687 is the serial number. B8 358 is also known.

I don't think I have ever seen an aircraft serial number painted on a British WW1 prop. The Germans did it occasionally. It is unlikely to be an aircraft serial number because statistically at least 10 times more propellers were made than aircraft. This ratio reflects both the closeness of the prop to the ground and the rough fields used, and the need for replacement propellers to be in the pipeline at squadron, second line, third line and supply depots in GB.

I describe the Betjemann family and their propellers in Part One of my series on British WW1 Propeller makers. Seven pages.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
    X