Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification

Hi, I guess this is a usual question, but having owned my lovely propeller for many years not knowing when it was made etc. I have decided it is time to try and discover its origins.

I checked the list, kindly provided here and although close I could not actually find an exact reference.

Numbers etc are:
    Y524
    G1678N32
    250 HP Puma
    Dia 8-6
    Pitch 8-0

It is constructed of laminated hardwood of some description and has brass bound tips which have screws or rivets soldered in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Alan

I have moved this to the "Early" Wooden Propellers category because I believe it is most likely a WW1 era prop. The "Y" prefix typically indicates a design by A.V. Roe Company. However, although there are suffixes both preceding and following the number 524, I don't see that specific model list in Bob Gardner's book or in other references. I think the "Puma" refers to a Siddeley Puma engine developed late in WW1, but I don't see any references to AVRO aircraft using that specific engine.

Bob Gardner may be able to more accurately determine a manufacturing date based on the production numbers, G1678 N32. With a relatively high G number, it probably was produced after the end of WW1, but I don't have an accurate time frame if it was.

Comment

Alan,

I don't have that drg no in my database either but Googling 'Avro' and 'Puma engine of 250hp' produces the Avro Manchester a twin engine bomber prototype that first flew in 1919.

The batch number, G1678, is also from that sort of time.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you both for such prompt replies to my enquiry. I shall now have to look up the plane and engine concerned, at least that gives me a starting oint.
        Regards Alan

Comment

Working...
        X