Audrey's prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audrey's prop

Dear Friends, more than 30 years ago I was entrusted to the care of the following described propeller. It was found in Texas, but it is a Foust Trailer Co. product. It is 70 inches long, in great shape has fabric ends what looks like brass edges that have been riveted on. The two decals on each end are circles with wings. Enclosed in the circle is the company logo Foust Trailer Co. Hughesville Pa. The vital stats embossed on the item are Des 70 L 36 SER 2208? HP 65 Rpm 2550. Hopefully it will ring-a-bell out-there! I'd like to know all I could about it, age, use, value although it is so unique and beautiful to most of my friends and family I doubt we'd ever sell it Thanks Tom

Well, it's another company I've never heard of, which isn't all that surprising as there were quite a few of them.

From the description it is similar to many of the commonly produced propellers for a variety of light training aircraft built in the 30's, 40's and 50's. I suspect that the drawing number, 70 L 36, reflects the length (70") and the pitch (36") and it's possible that the "L" refers to Lycoming, the engine manufacturer, although that's more speculative. Numerous aircraft used the 65 HP engines which were mostly made by Continental, Franklin, and Lycoming. I doubt that you will be able to pin this down to one specific aircraft type.
    Dave

Comment

foust propeller

I can tell you about Foust wooden props Foust was my grandfather so if you want to know email me and we can talk to you about your prop thank you Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Reed View Post
        I can tell you about Foust wooden props Foust was my grandfather so if you want to know email me and we can talk to you about your prop thank you Dan
        Do you have any lists of drawing numbers correlated to the aircraft for which they were designed? We are slowly accumulating those on Modern Wooden Propellers web site, thanks to Lamar Bevil, who posts here frequently.
        Dave

Comment

I've not heard of this company either. Dave is absolutely correct: I'd gratefully welcome any information on this company and the props it manufactured.

Lamar

Comment

Foust trailer co

Foust Trailer co was in Hughesville Pa lycoming County it was my grandfather he was born in 1909 and past away in 1973 the trailer co was closed in about 1960 if you want to know more about him or the trailer co just email me thanks Dan
            Last edited by Dan Reed; 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I just emailed you.

Comment

Foust Trailer Co.

I have more information on the Foust Trailer Co. and the Wooden Props. My Grandfather, Clarence Foust, manufactured the props for the Goverement during World War II to be used at Lock Haven Airport PA to train young men to fly for the Military the were used on Piper Cubs Planes.Aluminum during the War was in short supply therefore he was contracted by the US Gov. to hand craft the props. The numbers on the prop were used to id the horse power which in most case was 65 the sereal # was served as part of the date made and his logo were always etched into the wood. He had received a letter from President Harry Truman for his efforts. When WWII ended he had a surplus of the props that were no longer used on airplanes, since aluminum was now available. So he than had the idea to put the clocks into the props and sell as the hanging wall clock. I personally have one and would like for my 5 siblings to also be able to have as a piece of the family history. As far as value I was able obtained mine for $100 , 18 years ago. Thank you, Dan Reed[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

If anyone knows of one of these Foust Propeller clocks for sale please email me. thank you, dan reed

Comment

Working...
                  X