Just given a Flottorp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just given a Flottorp

My wife and I were just given a Flottorp propeller. It belonged to her uncle who passed away some time back. His brother was going to cut it up just to get it out of the way. She asked for it so now we have it hanging on our was in our hall.
    I don't know the first thing about probellers and I used the Flottorp info on here to figure out what type of plane it was used on. I was wondering if someone could help me out with any other info on this type of propeller. We have allot of conversation pieces in our house and I know allot about each one but not this one.

The #'s on one end are A3318 (under those) DES 96CA-62
    On the center (Hub ???) the #'s 3318 (under those) 62

Thank you for any help and or info

MPowell

It was used on a Stearman (Boeing PT17) which was primarily used as a trainer during WW2. After the war many of them were used as crop dusters, airshow planes, banner towing, etc., and there are a lot of them still flying.

The A3318 is likely just a serial number.

Dave

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for the info Dave. Any rough idea what the value might be? I'm not looking to sale it cause I love how it looks on the wall but I'm just curious.

Thanks again

Comment

You can check recent sales on eBay, but in good or excellent condition they usually sell for around $500 to $800 or so. In poor or refinished condition, it's an even wilder guess.
        Dave

Comment

thanks for the help

thanks again for the help but I have one last question. Is their a piece that bolts to the front of the propeller and if so where could I look for one.

Thanks
          MPowell

Comment

Some propellers had "spinners" attached to the hub and others just have the metal hub. Seems to me that most Stearmans did not use a spinner. I don't know if you can get a hub assembly from some place like Univair or WagAero, and you might find one on eBay, but expect to pay quite a bit for one if it's in good condition (maybe 5 or 6 hundred bucks, as a guess).
            Dave

Comment

Ironically, this hub just popped on ebay recently. If it's something you want, you may not see another one for some time. It's hit or miss most of the time.
              Dave

Comment

Thanks again for the help and info.

MPowell

Comment

Working...
                X