Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPW integral spinner

Hi to all!

This is my first post! I'm writing from Italy and I'm a lon-time aeronautical collector. I own a german JPW spinner. Is decorated with the classical JPW logo with circled letters and wing, and the iron cross, both on decal and on both of one side's blades.

I was thinking that was (as the one showed on your site database) a German J.P.W. - Gnome 100 H.P. spinner, but on a closer inspection, my spinner is quite different, by design and marking.

I would like to know what kind of propeller is, by which airplane has been made and any information you may have on it!

Thanks in advance!

Best, Dr1
    Attached Files

Its JPW logo:
    Attached Files

Comment

Iron cross logo:
      Attached Files

Comment

Side markings #1:
        Attached Files

Comment

Side markings #2:
          Attached Files

Comment

The spinner is complete, of course, and is cut only in photo, because I'm not be able to take a complete pic of it! Its length is 280 cm (110,32 inch)...

Best, Dr1

Comment

Very nice looking propeller.

Can you read the stampings and post them? It is difficult to read them in the photographs. Sometimes a magnifying glass and oblique lighting will help make it clearer.
              Dave

Comment

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply!

Here's the stampings:

JNTEGRAL

TYPE * A * S *

PAT * ANG *

------- other side --------------

OK 14 (sort of logo, but not sure of this)

12 * 369 * 439

Comment

Greetings! Welcome to the forum.

JPW indicates the Jntegral Propellerwerke, originally a subsidiary of the French Integrale Co that was taken into German ownership when WW1 broke out.

This decal dates your propeller from September 1914 to Summer 1916. The markings on your prop are not in the German style. They are in an Italian style and I don't know what they mean. As your propeller originally had six bolt holes it is probably from a 100ps or 120ps Mercedes engine used on aircraft in Germany such as the Albatros B II. Please measure the length of your propeller. I expect it is 2700mm or 2750mm.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner
                  Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                  http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hallo Bob!

Nice to hear from you! And thanks for your reply!

You're thinking right! The length is 2800mm. You say that should have six bolt holes... but my propeller had nine holes. Therefore it cannot been used on Albatros?

And why there's italian marking on a german propeller? It was found in Italy, brought home by a vet, but I thought it was war booty from a german airplane downed by our pilots..

Best, Dr1

Comment

I can't answer your questions! I can't answer the majority of propeller questions asked of me.

The diameter of 2800mm was used on German naval aircraft. Is the word Kiel or KW Kiel stamped on the blade root near the hub? If so, it belonged to the Imperial German Navy. But the markings on the hub are not the usual German markings for Army or Navy and they are like some markings I have seen on Italian WW1 propellers, which is not yet something I have studied. I don't know what they mean.

When did Italy enter WW1? I think it was a little later than August 1914. Perhaps the Corpo Aeronautico Militare or the Regia Nautica bought engines and props from Germany after August 1914 but before Italy joined the war?

I think your propeller originally had six bolt holes and some more added later.

Bob
                      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM.
                      Bob Gardner
                      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks!

I understand you.. Should not be easy answer to all the crazy questions that make those crazy collectors!!!!

There's a sort of logo followed by '14' on the hub. And one of the two 'interlaced' letters I'm quite sure that's a 'K'.. Could be that the naval marking?

Italy began the WWI on May, 23 1915. So could have bought some propellers and engine from their former allied.

Thanks again!

Comment

I count 10 bolt holes, consisting of two separate 5 hole patterns. Most peculiar, but it might help narrow down an engine . . .

Attached Files
                          Dave

Comment

Hallo!

Yep, ten.. I had lost one hole!!!

You think that could help to find the engine to which it was attached?

About the markings .. more than italian style seems to me more british.. italians would not have written 'type'...

Comment

The 5 hole hub should certainly eliminate many, many of the commonly used engines around WW1. Whether it will positively identify the correct one remains to be seen. You might consider posting that question on theaerodrome.com, where there are some very knowledgeable WW1 historians.

Mis-stampings on propellers were surprisingly common, although that might not explain "Type" on yours. I do think that the stamper thought he had an "I" when he actually had a "J", however, and realized it one strike too late.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X