Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Purchase - What should I get ? (WW1/American Warplanes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Purchase - What should I get ? (WW1/American Warplanes)

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing my first wooden prop. I almost just bought a generic off amazon. I want something with more history behind it that I can appreciate.

Specifically, I'm interested in something that ties to my interest in American aviation and military. What would you recommend ? It can be a reproduction or authentic.

Maybe what was the first US warplane used in combat (WW1?) or prominent WW2 aircraft. I've heard the DH4 was the first American built aircraft, although foreign design, used in combat. Any place I can pick one up and what would it run me ?

Thanks!

Personally, I would stay away from any replicas. Most of the ones I've seen aren't really reproductions. They're more like "interpretations" of what the builder thought they should look like.

See this thread just posted here. The 4th propeller in the photo is an OX5 prop, most likely from a Curtiss JN4 and is stamped with a Signal Corps number. While not a combat aircraft, the Jenny was an important trainer for WW1 pilots and was US built. You can contact the poster through the private messaging option on the site.

Comment

Working...
    X