WW1 Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Propeller

I have a wooden propeller that I have had in storage for over 50 years and I decided to refinish it to install a clock in the hub. This propeller has no metal flanges remaining in the hub. When I removed the finish which was in very poor condition, I noticed the stamping on the hub which idenitfies it as being manufactured by Lang and was used with the Liberty L-12 400 HP engine.

The propeller is in excellent condition including the brass tips but the finish has been revoved and I have installed a couple of mohagonay inserts in 2 small notches in the hub as the first step in the clock installation. The question is whether I should proceed or preserve it in its present configuration. If I were to apply a new finish, is there a suggested type to be used if the propeller is to be preseved in its unmodified condition. Any input on my dilemma would be appreciated.

Albert

The less you do to alter it the better, even at this point. If you haven't done anything structural to the hub I wouldn't do anything else at this point. As for finish now, I think the best bet for display purposes is to simply apply several coats of linseed oil, allowing even a few weeks in between coats to allow it to cure and harden.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave, for your input. I wil use linseed oil as a finish. If I decide to mount a clock in the hub I will use removeable wood fillers and preserve the stampings on the hub.
      Albert

Comment

Working...
      X