Used on what type of Plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used on what type of Plane?

Due to my impatience and issues with my camera at this moment I hope the written information may do the trick. I have an approximate 11 foot tall propeller with "somewhat" square tips and copper or brass ends and edging held on with many rivets(?) The Hub markings in part, are TYPE H 16 beneath that an anchor stamped into the wood followed by FCR many number sets stamped as well. The hub is 11.5 inches across 7.5 thick with 8 small bolt holes filled with pieces of wood dowel, not flush, easy to remove. the large center hole is 3 inch across front and back but towards the interior center is smaller. The decals (which I never noticed in 30 years of ownership due to darkening of wood) is Paragon. History if helpful is acquired from widow of WW1 US Navy petty officer. His uniform has an early aviation gunner insignia on right sleeve. Two hats, the first with " US NAVY AERONAUTICAL STATION " the second with "US NAVY AVIATION" on the hat ribbons. A WW1 victory medal with "AVIATION" on a bar on ribbon. There was one comment made by the widow that he sat in front of the pilot looking for submarines off of Cape May NJ. But that means nothing for IDing the propeller but hope it may help. I will have pictures as soon as camera issues are solved. Thank you!
    Last edited by alc199; 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM. Reason: after thought

It's for a Curtiss H16 flying boat, using a Liberty 450 hp engine. See this propeller, which may be identical except that it was manufactured by Matthews Bros. instead of Paragon.

The American Propeller Company (Paragon) had built over 25,000 wooden propellers by the end of WW1, yours likely being one of those. Many became obsolete in the early twenties and were sold off as surplus for $2 or $3 each, which might explain the bolt hole plugs in yours.

I'm curious if yours is actually 11 feet or more like 9 1/2 feet like the Matthews prop. Usually the length and pitch will also be stamped on the hub or the blade.
    Dave

Comment

length correction, Used on what type of plane

Dave, Thank you for your reply! I have maneuvered the propeller in a position to measure the length which is 9 and a half feet. It sure looked longer The paragon H16 is like the Matthews except for smoother lines in the half way point of each side. I will have photos later today. I believe that the dowels, being set to remove easily and the traces of a square heavy card stock cover for both sides of the hub hole is probably as received from the manufacturer as measures for protection from dirt and dings. I also wonder if the anchor stamping and the initials that follow are US Navy inspectors marks? I will post photos of all markings and propeller later in the day. Thank you for this exciting news. Andrew

Comment

Photos of my H 16

You will please notice the bottom most stamp is different in depth and size from the other stamps. Upon closer examination I have found that what I first thought to be a banged up stock on the anchor appears to be a "US" I think this substantiates my original theory that this is a government acceptance mark with the inspectors initials. The next photo is upside down of the decal just barely showing letters and wing tips outside of the PARAGON name the other decal photo shows the PARAGON name clearly but not the decorative surrounds. Does anyone know of other propellers of this type in existence? I would also like to thank you all for your kind assistance. Best regards,Andrew
        Attached Files
        Last edited by alc199; 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM. Reason: spell

Comment

Working...
        X