Pitch of Sensenich 86B1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch of Sensenich 86B1

We have a Sensenich 86B1 wooden propeller on a 1939 Fairchild 24R9.
    86 obviously refers to the prop's length but what pitch does this propeller have? Can't find it in any list.

Don't know. Usually it follows the length, then letters designating the hub.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for replying, Dave. The correct prop for the aircraft, according to the list on www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/sensenich.htm would be 86BAS55 or 86BS55. Alternatively a 58" pitch cruise prop may be installed. BAS/BS refers to the engine the prop was designed for (Ranger 6-410)
      Our propeller has a serial number without a letter prefix which puts its production date between 1932 and 1942.
      Still, I'm at a loss what the B1 designation means.
      Last edited by earlybird; 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

According to an undated Sensenich document I have, the letters following the diameter and preceding the pitch indicate the basic blade design and describe the hub dimensions for a particular metal hub to fit the prop.

Lamar

Comment

Do you think that the pitch information is missing? (It can't be 1 inch The propeller is mounted on a metal hub which fits on the tapered crankshaft. It works OK but the plane is very reluctant to climb.

Frits.

Comment

The 1 is part of the hub info.

Yes, I think pitch is missing but intentionally. I notice particularly in the older props if it was made in only one pitch the pitch is not stamped. How old is your plane and what is it?

Lamar

Comment

The plane is a 1939 Fairchild 24R9 with a 165 hp Ranger 6-410-B2a engine. The TCDS gives no particular data for the propeller except that it should be a wooden prop not longer than 103 inches tip to tip. No info on pitch or min/max static RPM.

Frits.

Comment

I bet I've seen pictures of your plane. Nice!

Have you checked with a prop shop or perhaps Sensenich customer service for recommendations?

Lamar

Comment

I have sent an e-mail to Sensenich but received no reply so far. Apparently it is a difficult matter for them too
                  Also I have posted a question on the Fairchild Club Yahoo Group to find out what the standard pitch for this aircraft is (55 or 58 inches). Just have to wait for a reaction.
                  And I have tried to measure the pitch of this prop; after some calculation came up with ca. 60 inches, which is very coarse for this type of plane/engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X