4 bladed Darroco prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Howard View Post
    Notwithstanding that, I am happy to forward better resolution images to anyone concerned. I think it's a great story, and as we are a tourism magnet with this as one of the items on show, well.....need I say more!!!!
    In lieu of taking more photographs, just closely inspect the face of the hub. Does it look like there is a ring around the bolt holes indicating compression of the wood? If not, I'd disregard the theories that it was used on his airplane.
    Dave

Comment

Prop

I would agree with Dave, the prop does not appear to have witness marks showing a hub has/was fitted. Further I concur that most stories about old crap are just that, stories. Even if the information is true without the appropiate documentation it is all here say. This is not to say you should not continue to do research on it. People need to be careful when paying extra because of these stories. Case in point - I bought my prop from a small local auction house. I viewed the item and set up a phone bid on the item. Two minutes before I was to bid the auction rep advised me that it had come from the home of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. The was no note on the item at the viewing and I figured I could not pay any extra as I had no proof of this claim. It happened that I ended up being the high bidder and when I picked up the prop they provided all the documents to support their claims. After doing further research I have found it is probaby the prop he damaged in Nowra when taking a newly wed couple for a joy ride while pissed. Dont give up on your research but dont be disappointed if you fail to get the desired results.

Having said all that - its a horrible prop and you should immediatly send it to me.

Regards,

Adrian.

Comment

Some close ups of the hub pretty well confirm that the prop was never mounted.
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Witness Marks

I could tell it had not been mounted from the orignal pictures. The holes are far too crisp on the edges.

The mounting "hooks" are not really the right way to go. Thats a good picture on what NOT to do.

Still a nice prop though with a nice old finsh, I hope to get a 4 blader one day.

Comment

Good Evening everyone,

It appears to be the FE8 open season. I sold the one on my website a week ago. A few days ago I found a second one. To put this remarkable fact into perspective I normally find a four bladed prop about once a year; hen's teeth sort of stuff. To find two FE8 props within a few months is unprecedented. Now another has emerged!

Simon,

I live in Yorkshire. Do you live, by chance, in North Yorkshire? If so I can come and see it and offer some advice. (Although I buy and sell WW1 props, I am more of a researcher, so my offer to help has two motives; to help you and perhaps to photograph some aspects for my research.)

Yours aye,

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM.
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I do indeed live in North Yorkshire. If you email me we can go from there.
              Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

A note to confirm that I am contacting Simon by e-mail.

Bob
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                X