• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification please

My propeller stamped :-
    G1413 N10

LP5300 DH (or BH) BR2

D2780 P2920

I am having difficulty finding out about it. It may be Lang Propeller, the diameter is 2780CM and the Pitch is 2920? It has eight bolts.
    Any help please?

Ian

It's a Lang Propeller drawing and was built for use on either a Sopwith Snipe or Salamander using a BR2 engine. If it was manufactured by Lang and has not been refinished it "should" have Lang decals.

Bob Gardner has some information on the dating of the "G" and "N" numbers, but he will likely not be checking the forum for the next 2 weeks or so.

Comment

Dave's reply above caught me just in time.

It's a Lang Propeller design with Drg No. LP5300 for both;

1. The Sopwith Salamander, an aircraft designed as a ground attack aircraft. It was armoured and well armed to strafe German lines. It would have been a formidable aircraft but came into service just as the war ended.

2. And for the Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe, a development of the Sopwith Camel. The Snipe was regarded as the best allied fighter in late 1918. It continued in use until 1927. Probably your prop was from this aircraft.

D2780 is the diameter in mm, and P2920 is the pitch in mm.

Lang was owned by the Sopwith Company. Both soon became bankrupt after the war but Lang arose from the ashes of victory as the Airscrew Company of Great Britain.

The G number reflects a batch of propellers ordered by the Air Ministry, usually of 100 props, of which yours was the tenth made. The RAF Museum owns number 43 of this batch, which is attributed to the Snipe.

This G number dates from December 1918, just after the end of WW1.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you very much Dave and Bob.
        I have known the propeller all my life as it hung in the repair shop of our garage in Congleton in Cheshire.It had been acquired by my Grandfather well before my time and nobody seemed to know anything about it.
        There is no logo on it so obviously it has been re-varnished at some time.
        Thanks again,

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ianburns View Post
          There is no logo on it so obviously it has been re-varnished at some time.
          Not always, and usually you can tell by close examination of the surface, but I think that most Lang propellers did have decals on them if they were manufactured by Lang.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X