Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing or Curtis

Gentlemen,
    Looking to identify a wooden prop that would appear to be off a Curtiss Model F Flying boat, but the hub markings show Boeing 12153 RH, below that is two digits I cant make out, followed by -22727. Also in very small fonts is maybe a U2F. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Update: Upon further inspection....the small fonts appear to be US with an Anchor between the U S. I'm assuming this is a Boeing US Navy prop? But what aircraft would it have been on? Thanks
    Last edited by GLahrman; 02-21-2016, 04:00 PM.

How are you determining the link to a Curtiss F boat?

Can you post a picture of the prop and the hub? Also, see this page on the importance of hub dimensions.

Comment

Dbahnson, I made the connection to Curtiss only by length, metal sheathing and overall shape, it matches the Curtiss appearance. But, after further inspection, it has Boeing stamped on the hub followed by 12153RH below that it might be S/N 22727 with US and an anchor. Measurements are B-3.25", C-6.687", F-.375", its a 6.500" thick Hub with a 8 hole pattern. This came from a retired Pan Am clipper pilot. Thank you for your reply. I'm not familiar with posting pics on your forum, but with your administrative privelages you can pull up my email address and I'd be glad to email you pics. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

Here are the photos. The numbers look clear (some are easy to mis-read), but I think the similarity of geometry to the Curtiss F boat is strictly coincidence. Lots of propellers look identical and are totally different in their application.

Unfortunately, the hub dimensions given above don't quite match up with any of the listed engines. I think at this point the best pathway is to try to find any early Boeing aircraft and what engines they may have used and then try to match that up with the hub dimensions. It's not always an easy task.
        Attached Files

Comment

That was spam, Bob. I just deleted her signature hyperlinks, and she's a click away from being banned completely. These creeps are invading the forum with meaningless posts. I deleted another one this morning.

Comment

Thanks Dave. I too thought it was spam with that line of links but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps two strikes and your out should be the rule.

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I'm looking into adding a mod that requires a specified number of posts before hyperlinks or signature links can be added. Anyone who wants to post junk 5 times just to be able to post their spam links will get banned beforehand.

Comment

Excellent! That should preserve our Ivory Tower!

bob
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

lol..........I'd just like to find out what that prop is

Comment

Originally posted by GLahrman View Post
                    lol..........I'd just like to find out what that prop is
                    Don't blame you one bit, although even that is more likely to happen in a venue that isn't polluted with spam and other advertising. This one is privately funded by Bob and me and a few other contributors.

Comment

Unless someone on your forum used to date Sally, why would someone waste their time attacking a Propeller forum, On a more serious note, you had said my dimensions didn't match any know makers, I'm curious as to the degree of not matching and do these figures come close to "any" known Boeing hub dimensions? Thanks for your help

Comment

They aren't "attacking" in the sense of malicious code. In most cases they're trying to increase "backlinks" to their websites to boost search engine rankings.

I'd say that well over 90% of the WW1 era props we see here have hub dimensions that correspond to those on the posted chart, but after WW1 engine production developed rapidly, so a number of new engines came into use and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on their dimensions.

That's why I say that the best avenue I would think of chasing down is to find what the engines "might" have been and then see if you can find an example of one with a hub. It might mean contacting museums or other historical sites.

Comment

Working...
                        X