Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown propeller (AVRO?)

Good morning,

I recently acquired an old wooden propeller and I kindly ask everyone to help me to identify it.

Condition is very good without bigger damages but unfortunately newly painted. Maybe it was prepared to fix a watch or something else in the center bore.

Dimensions: ca 8.18 feet, 8 holes (0,4 "), dark wood, no stamps except: AID 970 (0.35x0.35 "), center bore "small" ca 2.36 ", center bore "big" covered with a wooden inlayand a brass plate.

please see pictures

If you need more details, please let me know I will try to provide the informations or pictures requestes.

Thank you for your support and bests regards

Franz Watzl
    Attached Files

I don't know what model it is, but it does seem unusual that it would have an inspection stamp ("A.I.D.") and decals without the drawing number stamped on the hub first.

Sometimes propellers made it all of the way through production only to be rejected at the end, but I've always assumed that the inspection stamp was the "final" step in that whole process. Maybe not, and maybe there were several inspections along the way.
    Dave

Comment

The diameter indicates that it dates from the 1930's and was made for the Armstrong Siddeley Lynx Mark IV engine used in the Avro 504N, the basic trainer used by the RAF in the early 1950's.

There is no data stamped on the hub and the woodwork on the hub is not part of the propeller in flight condition. The decal and the condition of the finish are superb. This suggests that:
      1. the propeller was never intended to be flown, and was perhaps intended to be a presentation item or perhaps a decorative item for Avro's canteen or boardroom.
      2. and that it has recently been stripped, cleaned and re-French polished by an expert,
      3. the AVRO decal, which can be delicate and do not age well, is a probably a modern replica.

This is not a definitive statement, merely possible reasons for the props immaculate condition. Do you know of any history of the prop? Has it been restored recently?

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you

Good morning,

thank you for the interesting informations and your quick response. Unfortunately I do not have any further details in this context (history, ownership etc).

Bob, let me comment on your suggestions:
        1. I agree but the prop is located in the german speaking heart of continental Europe (as you may imagine by reading my English). A long journey for a lonesome prop.

2. I do not think it was restored by an expert because painting/polishing is not perfect. Because there are really no signs of numbers or other markings on the outer side of the hub, I do not think that they were stripped away.

3. If there are modern rerplicas available, I think you are right.

Once again, thank you so much for your help!

Best regards

Franz Watzl

Comment

Working...
        X