Seeking info on Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking info on Prop

Not sure who the manufacturer is (no sticker) and what engine or aeroplane this was used on. It seems it was a Cheetah radial engine but I cannot be sure exactly which one and really not sure of aircraft. Any help would be appreciated. The markings on the propeller are as follows:

On the hub:
    D 88
    P 75
    CHEETAH MKX
    OXFORD
    FEB 1943

On the blades:
    SER R2416
    SS-SS 200F

It has 3 smaller circles stamped near the serial number with some letters and numbers inside but they are hard to make out. It's also an 8 hole hub.

Thanks again for any help.

If you use the search feature on this Forum and search for "Cheetah" I believe you'll find your answer.

Lamar

Comment

Yes I had already done that but I'm not really sure of any details.

I see many marking for a Cheetah MX1X or just X but not MKX so I'm not sure exactly what engine this was paired with.

Still can not be sure of the manufacturer either, may be S&S, but perhaps not. Trying to confirm.

As for aircraft type it was used on there are a couple of good candidates but again looking to confirm.

Great site and love looking at all the postings for this type of propeller.
      Thanks again.

Comment

I was told this may be from an Anson but again not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyVDL View Post
          I was told this may be from an Anson but again not sure.
          The Cheetah MkX was used primarily in the Airspeed Oxford a UK training aircraft. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_Oxford.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. From the other forum posts I was pretty sure this was a Cheetah Mark X engine on a Airspeed Oxford but I was unsure after I was told this was off of an Anson. So thanks for that.

Is there any way to know if this was from a UK aircraft or used on a Canadian trainer?

Also is there anyway to determine the manufacturer?

Thanks again.

Comment

I will make an educated guess that the SS-SS marking was used by S&S in Canada. Unless it's been refinished though I would expect to see decals on your prop. At any rate, that would make it Canadian.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
              X