Fahlin wood prop - need identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahlin wood prop - need identification

I have a Fahlin wood prop, measures 7'11", with the hub. These numbers/letters are in the wood, on the front of the prop.:
    Fahlin D73271
    No 17378 HP 220
    RPM 2100
    An anchor symbol with 'U' on one side of the anchor and 'S' on the other side.

On the backside of the prop, in the wood are:
    762/71
    L.J. 336

Not 100% sure of the letters and numbers as some are faded/worn.

On the front of the hub: 41D2327
    Back of hub: ASSEM. 41G2325, CONT. W535AC-29192, ARO SER. NO. 3041

There are 8 6-sided bolts on the hub, with the number 41B2329-12 around them. Seven of them have a cross or a 4-blade prop symbol in the center.

Does anyone have any information on this? I have nothing...
    Attached Files

I think you might be mis-reading the drawing number.

On the back, where it says 762/71, that indicates to me that the drawing number is 762 and the pitch is 71 inches. That corresponds to the number D762 on this page. If that's correct, it means it was used on a Waco UIC or UBA, and the 220 horsepower Continental engine that's stamped on the hub makes sense in that circumstance.

Check closely on the hub to see if "D732" is actually "D762". It probably is.

The only other match, D732, doesn't make sense, as it's for a 125 hp engine.
    Dave

Comment

Wrong number

Thank's so much Dave, you were right. It's a 6 and not a 3. Do you know what these two planes were primarily used for?.Also,what do you think the US anchor, symbol is there for?.

Comment

I suspect that it was used on a Navy trainer. I'm not familiar with the stampings on metal hubs, but propellers were often stamped with a number that corresponded to the year a military contract for that part was created, so I'm guessing that your prop was used sometime around 1941, and likely for the Navy on a Waco trainer.

Google the aircraft. You'll know as much as I do afterward. Actually, more.
        Dave

Comment

Waco

Thank's again, I'l see what I can find.

Comment

fahlin prop

hi flicker
            i think your prop might be made for a timm n2t-1 navy trainer
            if the thickness of the hub is 6in. i have a timm n2t-1 in need
            of a prop.would it be for sale?
            john

Comment

Hi John; Thanks for the info. I just purchased the prop and hadn't even thought about selling it.Paid 1400.00 for it. don't know if I took a beating or not, but it is such a beauty I don't even care. Really nice to have a little piece of history. The fellow said the pilot landed somewhere in Oregon in 1941, changed the prop, took off and the prop has been down there every since. I would love to see some pictures of your plane and some history. Flicker The prop measures 6 in.
              Last edited by flicker; 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM. Reason: add

Comment

fahlin prop

hi flicker
                after more study i think dave's assessment is correct.
                the hub is what i don't understand. my hub info is 3 hubs
                for the 220
                manufacturer type hub model hub thickness bore bolt dia
                5 air force sae 20 41g2325-9 6.ooo 3.880 .438

5a air force sae 20 41g2325-6 5.250 3.880 .438

continental sae 20 a4064 6.000 3.151
                so with out the dash number behind 41g2325 it is confusing

john so

Comment

The dash number referrs to the thickness of the wooden propelelr hub. There were nine dash numbers for thickness between 4 inches and 6 inches thick

Comment

Working...
                  X