Propeller ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller ID

I just purchased a propeller made by Westmoore and wondering if anybody can help identify what it would have fit.

Overall length - 9' 6"
    Hub - 3.25" center hole, 11" diameter, 5" thick
    Bolt holes - 8 of them, .75" diameter, 8" across from hole to hole
    Markings - C.10.V.2
    NO. 4963
    R.9.

There are no witness marks on the hub so I doubt this has ever been installed on an airplane.

It appears someone decided to start refinishing this prop and sanded off all the original finish on the front side, except around the decals. I am thinking I should finish the job. From what I read about shellac, I may be able to do this while retaining the original decals - any thoughts about this?

Last edited by SMO; 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM.
    Mark Olson

It was designed for a Curtiss R9 (similar to the Curtiss R4 and R6). See this page for a similar prop.

If it has been sanded and not re-varnishe, then I would simply get a good grade of shellac and try to shellac the entire existing surface, including over the decals, and just hope that the color transition does not remain so evident. It will never be "original" but it will probably look better than it does.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, it has not been varnished so I will try some shellac to improve its appearance.
      Mark Olson

Comment

Post a picture of the decal area when you do!
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X