No announcement yet.

Anyone help with identifying this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone help with identifying this one?

Hi there,

I have this wooden propeller that's a little over 8 foot long with the following markings on it. I'd love to know what aircraft it is from if anyone can help:

DRG No AB8080LH

D2514 P2850

2001 PHISPANASUIZA 0/4

G528N34
    Attached Files

That drawing number ("AB8080") is listed for use on an SE5A or Sopwith Dolphin. The reason it's a left hand design ("LH") is that it is utilized a version of the Hisso engine with a geared drive, which reverses the direction of rotation.

It's nice to see it in original condition!

(Since it's a WW1 era design I've moved it to the "Early Wooden Propellers" category.)

(P.S. I think the stamp "2001 PHISPANASUIZA" is actually "200 HP HISPANOSUIZA", which is the correct horsepower for the geared Hisso engine.)

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to get back to me and with all that information. That is fascinating. I've had it for years despite numerous requests from my wife to get rid of it! It's appearance hasn't helped to enamour her to it. I'm seeing lovely varnished wooden propellers on this site but mine is mostly coated with a sort of muslin canvassy cloth and the paint has come off the cloth areas in many places unfortunately.
      I'm in Northern Ireland so I think I'll try and do a bit of local research to see if many or any of those aircraft were ever based here.
      Thanks very much again for your reply.
      Best wishes,
      Laurence

Comment

Laurence,

The material on the blades is Irish linen! It gave strength to wooden props. It existed in three different formats, covering respectively blade tips, the outer third of each blade and the entire blades down to the hub. These specifications were defined by the Royal Aircraft Factory, known as the RAF until the Royal Air Force came along in 1918.

When I used to buy and restore such props, I discovered that new Irish Linen was very expensive so I soon started to buy second hand pillow-slips and sheets on ebay.

Most props from WW1 have been restored to shiny original condition, so there is a particular merit in preserving yours in its present original condition, with scraps of original linen. You can halt its decline if you wish by polishing the visible wood gently with pure bees-wax polish. This can be bought from stores such as B & Q but make sure you buy original bees-wax polish in a tin. It can also be bought in aerosol form but the modern silicones in this polish are far too strong for old and delicate woods. Apply a little at a time in a small circle and then polish it off. It will take an hour or two to polish your prop and it will probably look much better as well preserving the wood.

Please post before and after photographs of your prop here for others to see.

I doubt if the RFC and RAF had any Dolphins or SE5As in Ulster or in the South in 1916-1919. It is much more likely that an Ulsterman serving with the RAF brought it home as a memento.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Laurence,

How did you get on with the polishing? Any photographs for us to see?

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X