Wooden Prop Ground Strike Can You ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Prop Ground Strike Can You ID?

I've had this in my collection for a few years, and am hoping to finally get it identified. Clearly the victim of a ground strike at one point, someone did a fairly credible job at removing the damaged section.

It originally measured approx. 8’ long, has an eight hole hub, copper clad tips and leading edges, and no remains of manufacturer decals ... but rumor had it that it was a "Jenny" prop.

Can anyone decipher the code stamped into the wooden prop to help determine the manufacturer and the type of aircraft or engine it would have been associated with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale
    Attached Files

Can't find the drawing number, but for it to have been fitted on a Jenny it would need either an OX5 hub or a Hisso (Hispano Suiza) hub. See this page for those dimensions.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the quick posting. I've always been a bit skeptical of the "it's a from a Jenny" identification.

Here are a few rough measurements: Hub (Metal) Diameter - 6.25", Center Bore - 2.75", and the Bolt Circle - 5.25"

The center is stamped 5343.

One thought was that DES.H might indicate it was made by Hamilton.

Dale
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I think the center bore is a little large for the OX5. I think quite a few of the "modern" propellers have that same 5.25" bolt circle, which has fooled me before.

I think that you're right about the "H". I haven't seen it as a prefix on any other manufacturers lists, but you do see it on this prop and probably others as well.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a listing of Hamilton propellers model numbers. They manufactured props from 1920 to 1929 before becoming Hamilton-Standard.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X