Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Sopwith Camel Propeller?

Hello Everyone!

My name is John and I am a long time lurker on the forums and have finally joined.

I have decided to try to acquire a Sopwith Camel propeller. I have a few questions before I take the plunge and hoping some of you can provide me some insight and/or guidance. So here goes:

1) Are original WW1 period Sopwith Propellers obtainable?

2) What is the range I would expect to pay for a complete original for a very good display example that doesn't need to be flight worthy.

3) Are there any environmental conditions that I need to have in order to display it such as humidity, direct sunlight, temperature etc.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give to a wooden prop newbie!

John

They do show up from time to time, although thanks to Snoopy they seem to be very, very much in demand. I have owned several and sold all but one of them. I would estimate that a fully original Camel propeller in very good condition would sell now for something in the $4500 to $5000 range, but perhaps even more if marketed aggressively to many of the serious collectors looking for one. None of the original props would be considered airworthy by someone flying an original or even a reproduction Camel.

Beware of reproductions, some of which apparently are made in China. Fakes are fairly easy to detect by an experienced collector. Also be suspicious of claims that any give propeller was used on a Camel. There should be clear documentation to support any such claim, usually by what's stamped on the hub.

I think the best way to think of storage and display is to treat it just as you would any piece of antique furniture.

Comment

Dave,

Thank you so much for your input and guidance!

I really appreciate it!

John

Comment

Working...
      X