Looking for origin of Heine 2m80 for 185hp BMW with brass tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronnie,

Good luck with your research and keep us updated on any progress.

Some random musings about my prop database above, not to be taken too seriously.

1. I know it is nowhere large enough to show a true picture, but the ratio of Mercedes engined D.VII aircraft to the BMW engined ones might give a hint of the relative distributions of these engines.

2. The data also shows that Mercedes produced engines of equal power to those of BMW, but in few numbers.

3. The humorous thought occurs that given the source of this data (shot down aircraft) it might also indicate that the Mercedes engined D.VII aircraft were easier to shoot down!

To be serious, does anyone know of a definitive book on the Fokker D.VII ?

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

@ nr.3!

The Windsock "Fokker D.VII Anthology" trilogy is probably the closest to a definite book on the D.VII in WW1. Of course there is so much more to the D.VII post-war and I don't think I ever saw this covered decently. Some years ago a Dutch book was released on Dutch military D.VIIs, so that's something at least. But no, not seen any truly definitive D.VII books.

Comment

Many thanks Ronnie.

I'll see if I can buy Windsock "Fokker D.VII Anthology" trilogy from Amazon.

On a different note, I live in Yorkshire in the North of England. Our house is cut off by floods caused by what the Met Office called Rain of Biblical Proportions. There are sixty red flood warnings, where 'red' indicates danger to life. We live on a slight hill and are in no danger but all road, motorway and rail links around us for thirty miles are flooded and shut.

This makes a change from watching on TV the awful and endless footage of California fire storms! Climate change is going to be exciting!

For Rhett only, I expect the floods might have gone down by 17 November when you are coming to see us, but we'll need to check the met before-hand. I have strapped the two props I bought for you to four empty oil barrels, for use in the last resort!

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

O wow, good luck there Bob! That sounds exciting, but not the right kind of exciting...

Although I guess this isn't really the place to discuss climate change, the news is full of bizarre weather. Australia is on fire again as well. Here in Holland we had a record heatwave in 2018 (essentially 3 months almost uninterrupted, while normally after 3 days of sunshine we usually speak of a good summer ) and this year the 75-year old heat record was smashed by a massive 2.1°C (40.7°C). The future could be interesting... Keep your props safe!

If you have trouble finding the D.VII Anthology, these guys in France might still have them. They advertise them in their 2019 catalogue, although their website doesn't have it any more so they may have sold out meanwhile.
          https://www.aircraft-navalship.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
            Many thanks Ronnie.

I'll see if I can buy Windsock "Fokker D.VII Anthology" trilogy from Amazon.

On a different note, I live in Yorkshire in the North of England. Our house is cut off by floods caused by what the Met Office called Rain of Biblical Proportions. There are sixty red flood warnings, where 'red' indicates danger to life. We live on a slight hill and are in no danger but all road, motorway and rail links around us for thirty miles are flooded and shut.

This makes a change from watching on TV the awful and endless footage of California fire storms! Climate change is going to be exciting!

For Rhett only, I expect the floods might have gone down by 17 November when you are coming to see us, but we'll need to check the met before-hand. I have strapped the two props I bought for you to four empty oil barrels, for use in the last resort!

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob, I may have that publication at home, and if so you are welcome to it. I bought it when I owned two D VII propellers but since I've disposed of them I don't really need it.

I'll check early next week. It's really nice that you've been able to help Rhett out with his endeavors. I'm envious of his ability to travel so easily around the world.

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for your kind offer. I ordered two books from Amazon. The first arrived yesterday. It is not of much use. The second will arrive tomorrow, Monday. So I would much like to have your book. Thank you for this kind thought.

Several of the aviation books I own are signed by their authors, and I sign every one of my books on propellers that I sell, so could you please sign your book for me.

I'll send you my postal address by email in a moment.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Will do, Bob. But I need to check to be sure I even have that book in my collection. I just don't remember.

Comment

Ronnie,

How lovely to communicate with a Nederlander.

I agree that global warming is going to give us an exciting show, but the weekly magazine New Scientist that I read has frequent accounts of the beginning of mass extinctions of flora and fauna world-wide, as well as unprecedented weather, both floods and fires, brought on by climate change. I have a chum from University who now lives in Queensland where there are currently bush fires similar to those in California.

On a different tack, when I was in München-Gladbach with the British Army from 1984 to 1985 we often used to cross the Dutch border to do our weekly shopping, where prices were lower and the choices better. I also used to attend NATO conferences in Den Haag.

The army squadron that I commanded during the Falklands War in the South Atlantic in 1982 had its origins in Operation Market Garden at Arnhem in 1944 and so from 1982 onwards I attended the annual remembrance each year at Arnhem with twenty or thirty soldiers from the Squadron. For several years we took veterans from our squadron who had flown supplies to Arnhem in 1944 with us. This year old age prevented me attending.

The floods around us are retreating but a new threat has arisen. The River Don, which has been the source of our flooding becomes tidal about ten miles away and so incoming tides block the river causing new floods about fifteen feet deep. It is a lovely autumn sunny day at the moment but snow is forecast for tomorrow followed by more biblical rain. Perhaps the good people of Arnhem will drop us some food?

Met vriendelijke Groeten,

Bob
                  Last edited by Bob Gardner; 11-10-2019, 01:35 PM.
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Bahnson's Memory!

Will do, Bob. But I need to check to be sure I even have that book in my collection. I just don't remember.

Dave,

I too forget to remember. There are numerous examples of my wife saying, 'You told me that yesterday! Don't you remember? Sadly, I never do!

With sympathy,

Bob
                    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 11-10-2019, 01:31 PM.
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                      Dave,

Thank you for your kind offer. I ordered two books from Amazon. The first arrived yesterday. It is not of much use. The second will arrive tomorrow, Monday. So I would much like to have your book. Thank you for this kind thought.

Several of the aviation books I own are signed by their authors, and I sign every one of my books on propellers that I sell, so could you please sign your book for me.

I'll send you my postal address by email in a moment.

With kind regards,

Bob
                      Bob, I don't find a Windsock publication but I have the Anthology 1 publication for the D VII and a Profiles publication for the D VIII. If you don't already have one or both of those I'll send them to you. (I have your address.)

Apparently there were additional Anthology publications for the D VII. This one is over 50 pages and quite a few illustrations and other technical details.

Attached Files

Comment

Excellent.

Thank you Dave. I don't have either. I look forward to reading both.

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                        X