Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 06-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Txnmikea

Default Curtiss SE5 Propeller?

I've recently acquired this antique propeller. The man I bought it from said it was from WWI and had come through his family from a grandfather who used to work at a small airstrip.

From my research, I've come to believe it's from a Curtiss SE5. This is based on the picture on this link: http://woodenpropeller.com/SE_5A.html

All the details are identical from what I can tell, down to the look of the patina. Mine is 92" long. There are no visible dings or scratches, it appears the underlying wood and metal are in perfect condition.

Mine has the original cork in the bolt holes, which I believe means it was never used.

I'm new to this and would really appreciate some wisdom here, including a possible value for this. THANKS!!

Here are some pics of mine:

Txnmikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
JR44
Forum Contributor

Hi there, your photos haven't worked.

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-09-2019 at 12:18 PM.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Bob Gardner

I don't understand your expression 'a Curtiss SE5'. I don't know of any relationship between Curtiss, an American company, and the SE5 designed by Folland, Kenworthy and Major Gooden of the British Royal Aircraft Factory.

It is possible that Great Britain gave an SE5A to the US Army circa 1917 to try out, but I am not aware of the US Army buying any.

The photograph might originate from Dave Bahnson, who may be able to offer come elucidation?

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
I don't understand your expression 'a Curtiss SE5'. I don't know of any relationship between Curtiss, an American company, and the SE5 designed by Folland, Kenworthy and Major Gooden of the British Royal Aircraft Factory.

It is possible that Great Britain gave an SE5A to the US Army circa 1917 to try out, but I am not aware of the US Army buying any.

The photograph might originate from Dave Bahnson, who may be able to offer come elucidation?

With kind regards,

Bob
I think your bolded statement is the explanation. The prop that I owned years ago was stamped "Plane SE5" but had a Curtiss decal on the blade and also had an "SC" number, typically indicating "Signal Corps". So I think that it is a Curtiss manufactured propeller designed to be used on a British SE5 by the Signal Corps, but I have no idea how they may have acquired an SE5.

I do believe that there were a number of European aircraft present at McCook Field near the end of WW1, perhaps for training or possibly research and development.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote