Hisso engine prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hisso engine prop ID

Here it is. Trying to ID it for a museum. Has the Suiza stamp on the blade, along with 8'6" legnth and 5.22' pitch. Model number is very hard to read. I believe it is the BAP number but is very faded, 3278 maybe? Hub has a stamp with and arrow and the number 750 below it.

Thanks
    Attached Files

It's a victim of sandpaper, and the only hope of positively identifying it was probably rubbed away. The B.A.P. number won't identify it, as that was more of a serial number than a drawing number and to my knowledge there's no archive to correlate the two.

I'm surprised that a museum is even interested in it. Would they plan to display it?
    Dave

Comment

This diameter and pitch indicates a slow and heavy aircraft. The Hisso with similar, although not identical, props were used on two British Flying Boats, the Supermarine AD Flying Boat and the Norman Thompson Flying Boat.

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks. We have about a dozen wooden props that were donated without any information about them. They look nice on the wall, but it would be nice to determine the historical significance of them, if any. I've tracked down details on some of them, but this one was too vague. Ill be posting a few more here in the coming days.

Comment

We'll do our best to help!

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by wrightca82 View Post
            Thanks. We have about a dozen wooden props that were donated without any information about them. They look nice on the wall, but it would be nice to determine the historical significance of them, if any. I've tracked down details on some of them, but this one was too vague. Ill be posting a few more here in the coming days.
            Post 'em all! We love to look at pictures . . .
            Dave

Comment

Hisso

I have a similar hub (blades were removed following a prop strike). The Hispano Suiza info is identical to yours. The engravings on the left side read (sanded on your prop) NO. 3306 SC64060 and a square inspection stamp.
              Best of Luck, Scott

Comment

Working...
              X