GREENLAND PROPELLER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREENLAND PROPELLER

referring to my propeller shown in General Information Forum, could it belong to a Junkers W33 with L-5 engine???

Here’s about my own investigations so far.

Facts: The prop comes from Greenland. Sticked on the back side there is still a paper label signed by the staff officers at the Allied Forces base at Ivigtut dated May 25, 1967.
    Dimensions in mm stated in drawing are approximate. Over all dia 2710 mm 106 ½”, center bore 73 mm 2 7/8”, bot hole circle (6 bolts) 136 mm 5 3/8”, bolt hole dia 10 mm (3/8”?), marks in the wood by metal hub dia 162 mm 6 3/8”.

Hints: Former owners statements ( manufactured in Sweden, first flight to Greenland, plane damaged at landing)

I’ve been told that the first aircrafts to land on Greenland were the two surviving Douglas World Cruisers in their flight around the world in 1925, when they stopped at Fredericksdal on August 21 and Ivigtut on August 24. But they didn’t crash, the prop doesn’t seem to fit a Liberty 12 engine, and why should it have been made in Sweden?

But reading an article by Lars Strömberg (http://fotolasse.se/hemsida/flyg/flyg.htm) I have learned that in summer 1929, Albin Ahrenberg made the first swedish attempt to cross the atlantic from east to west, using a Junkers W33 with the L5 engine. With serious difficulties (cooler and exhaust damaged, prop shaft almost melted, engine working on five cylinders and feeding the fuel manually – what a pleasant trip it must have been!) he reached Reykjavik, where a new engine was installed. Then he went on to Ivigtut on Greenland where, on the ground, the plane was partly damaged by a storm. After repairing he tried to reach America, but a lightening hit the antenna and destryed the radio and caused a fire in the plane and he had to return to Greenland. There the plane was dismanteled and sent back to Sweden by boat.

So, if the prop matches the fittings of the Junkers engine, it could have belonged to this aircraft, perhaps the original prop as the wood is darkened, as by overheating, on contact surface to metal hub on the back side. Or is this normal?

And, if not, anybody knows about more early flights to Greenland?

All help or suggestions will be appreciated

Comment

Due to problems with infonegocio.com I haven't been able to check my mail for two months, have now changed to a gmail account. If anybody have sent me a note, please try again!

Carl J. Nauclér

Comment

Working...
      X