Help Identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identify

Here's another propeller we need help identifying. While the shape is similar to some in the gallery, it only has 6 bolt holes and it is also quite light in weight. The stampings are almost readable but we could be misinterpreting some. Line one: PDQ CIB CO. Line two: P17 d70 p60 c And Line 3: PAT APD FOR (got that one). No decals. The ends are covered and there is damage (see pics). Length is 84.5", the hub is 4.25" thick with a 5" diameter. The center hole measures 1 3/4" across and has a metal insert inside. Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chuckpee; 09-06-2018, 01:16 PM. Reason: More information

It certainly looks like a very early design, and I'm just guessing that it's pre-WW1.

It's a left hand thread (we've been seeing a few of those lately), suggesting a pusher application. I think that the wrapping around the tips is actually animal hide rather than cloth, and I've seen that on some early props, like this early Requa Gibson.

I have no idea what "PDQ CIB CO" represents, but suspect it somehow identifies the manufacturer.

Can you measure the bolt hole circle diameter? I have two Bleriot propellers for Anzani engines and can compare dimensions. The Bleriot XI was a tractor (RH propeller) but it could well have been used on that or a similar type engine used in a pusher configuration. (I believe that one or some of the earlier Bleriot aircraft may have been pusher designs.)

Comment

Do the stamps actually say REQ GIB Co?
      It looks like the ones in the ad.

Comment

I'll go back to storage tomorrow to see if I can get a better read on the first line. We, too, had questions about the first two letters. I will measure the bolt hole circle diameter and look closely at the covering as well. Thanks for that info.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JR44 View Post
          Do the stamps actually say REQ GIB Co?
          It looks like the ones in the ad.
          Good pick-up. Right now that looks like the most logical interpretation of hard to read characters. Requa Gibson was a popular maker of early wooden propellers, and there are numerous ads for them in early publications. I don't know when they went out of business.

Comment

Weight: 9 lbs. Bolt holes 3/8" (and only about 1/4" from outside edge!). Bolt holes measure 4.25" center to center. Got better pictures of data. First line could well be REQ CIB CO. (Requa-Gibson) The other measurements seem to point it in that direction. Took a couple more of the covering too. I can't tell what it is, but it has a definite, not random, pattern.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by chuckpee; 09-06-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

From the photos it looks like the bolt holes are bigger than 3/16ths, possibly 3/8ths?

The Bleriot prop I have was fitted to a 25 HP Anzani engine. The bolt circle diameter is 4 1/2 inches and the bolt holes are 3/8".

If your bolt holes are actually 3/8" it doesn't mean that it necessarily was fitted to an Anzani engine; it just means that's one possibility. (The best way to measure the hole diameter is simply see what size drill fits best in the hole.)

I do think it's safe to say that this is an early Requa Gibson prop and may have been used in a pusher configuration.

Comment

You are correct...bolt holes are 3/8". Don't know why I put 3/16 (changed it). I could be a tad off on the circle diameter too. Good idea about using drill bits. I'll try that next time I return to storage. Heard an Anzani run once...neat engine.

Comment

Working...
                X