Prop ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID help

I bought a woden propeller about 11 years ago and have it displayed in my house. I am a private pilot so i know the prop is real and not one made as a decorative display. For years I have wanted to know who made it and what it went on...but the decals were removed and other than an ID number on the back is all i had (which internet searches never found) Below are specs and I will try and post pics assuming I can figure out how to. Any help would be appreciated identifying this propeller

Prop Specs:
    - The length is approximately 78 and 1/4 inches.
    - It is wood
    - It has metal leading edges towards the end and on the tips
    - The tips are flat, not pointy
    - It has 6 bolt holes and 1 prop shaft hole in the middle
    - it has a metal core where the prop shaft goes
    - The id letter/number combination around the shaft hole reads "AB 10165"

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/792/njlx.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img28/4394/sx46.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img33/1729/hy7f.jpg

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by scarcherpilot; 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM.

It looks to me like it's an airboat prop, based on the squared off tips, wide blades, flat pitch, and the 6 large bolt holes.

(What is the actual diameter of the bolt holes? You can use a drill as a measuring tool.)
    Dave

Comment

Dave,
      The bolt holes is a very interesting thing. On the back side of the prop, they are 1/2 inch, but the same holes on the font of the prop are 3/4. The 3/4 seems to go about 1-2 inches deep. The prop has a width of 4.5 inches at the center. The shaft opening is 2 inches in diameter.

Thanks,
      Jason

Comment

I don't know why it's that way, but that seems to be common on airboat type propellers. I don't know if I've ever seen it on aircraft props.
        Dave

Comment

Dave,

Is this a propeller for a boat? Like the kind they use in the swamp or is this one used for a plane/boat like the kind used by the old PBY's from WWII?

Hoping it's the later not the former LOL

Comment

I'm almost certain it's for a "swamp boat" as you call it or possibly a snow sleigh, which is similar. While there were a few aircraft propellers with squared tips almost all of the ones I've seen were for airboats. That design allows operation in a protective cage and also favors deceleration of the boat when power is reduced, a characteristic which is undesirable in an airplane.
            Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, obviously not the answer I wanted, but makes sense. It still looks good on my wall and most people wont know (heck I didnt) that it came from a swamp boat.
              Thanks again for the help

Comment

Working...
              X